modem connection problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine uses tiscali broadband with a supplied modem that connects to a usb port and to the phone socket.

Intermitently, (?) windows cant get a dial tone from the modem. Plugging it into a different usb port (in back of pc) sometimes solves it but on a restart, this new usb port comes up with the same error and plugging it back into the old one (in front of pc) gives us a connection. (all very randomly) trying a new modem gives us the same problem.

all connections to modem,phone,pc seem to be ok. i think it has something to do with the usb or could it be the mb?

any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response.

I have 2 modems which give the same problem and re-installed the software about 5 times and not using a router.

The other thing wrong with the pc is that the cmos battery appears to be faulty as it sometimes resets the bios. But that cant be related can it?

From my 15 years+ of pc maintenance experience, eveything seems to be pointing towards a mb problem. Just wandered if anybody else had a similar problem.

It sounds like the problem occurs whichever usb port you use, so stick it in one usb port while you are troubleshooting. Is it usb 1 or 2, maybe try a pci usb card to eliminate mobo usb problems.
Could just be a problem with the line, does it happen at certain times of the day? Phone tiscali and see what they say.

Replace that battery before trying anything else though, so you can eliminate it as a cause.

Sponsored Links
Is there a message service on this line as it modifies dial tone to indicate a stored message and the modem does not like it.

Broadband, Modem, Dial Tone.
These three do not belong in the same sentence. Let us establish what we are talking about, an ADSL Broadband or a 56k Dial Up internet connection. ADSL does not use a dial tone it is a digital signal. 56K dial up is not broadband. Pictures of the hardware being used would be great. Include pics of the back of devices where the wires plug in as well.

have to dissagree on that one

my first BB connection used a "stringray" modem
it used the "dial up window" to connect to BB

on the odd ocasion i had unplugged the phome line it did say no dial tone just like a dial up modem does

It is broadband/adsl but the connection manager software reports that it cannot establish a connection/no dial tone detected message.

Also tried to connect without a phone plugged in so modem straight to wall socket but same problem.

The modem is a Thomson Speedtouch 330, which shows 2 solid green lights indicating that there is a connection established. If any of them was flashing it would indicate a problem but obviously it doesnt.

Also, sticking a mouse into the usb's gives us no problems either so i dont know.

The dial tone bit is misleading. Broadband needs no dialtone as such. It is possible to have your voice line disconnected, and have no dial tone, but still have a broadband connection.

dutch_delight said:
Also tried to connect without a phone plugged in so modem straight to wall socket but same problem.

??? You can't plug an ADSL modem directly into a phone socket, the plugs are different. The lead that connects the ADSL modem to the phone line should have a clear plastic squareish plug with a tab at the bottom, at both ends. This is called an RJ11 plug. One end plugs into the modem, the other end plugs into a microfilter that should have been supplied with the modem. If you are able to plug into the phone socket without a microfilter, you are using the wrong lead. Also, you will need additional microfilters on every phone socket in the house that has something (Phone, Sky box etc) plugged into it.

Microfilter: Device that filters the voice signal from the date signal on your phone line and prevents voice calls from interfering with the data signal. It has two sockets, one for a phone, the other for an ADSL modem.

Perhaps I should expand more on my posts. :)

What I meant was, that I took off the extension lead, dragged the pc downstairs and put the filter straight into the wall socket.

Going to throw pc out window later, might fix it.

Its not uncommon for these faults to be a result of poor quality ADSL filters. I chuck whatever comes with the modem, and spend a tenner on a BT one from Maplins, you need one for every device, sky box, phones etc. Apparently BT will only guarantee ADSL up to the first 3 metres into the house, so you should plug the modem into the closest socket, and try disconnecting all the other devices. It looks like you've already tried this though!

Click on the windows logo key at the same time as pressing the pause break key, this will bring up the system properties dialog,click on the hardware tab,click the device manager button,click the plus sign next to Ports(COM and LPT) to expand the category,is there an item there that says USB Serial Port (COM(number))?

probably wont get a reply as the OP was in september but worth a try.

Cheers, I'll have a look as soon as i get a chance.

The closest I can narrow the problem down to is that if I switch the pc on, then quickly remove the modem usb cable and plug it straight back in, the success rate of connection is considerably higher.

Could there maybe be a fault with the power supply? Perhaps it causes a surge which messes up the modem?

I've tried different usb ports as well but that makes no difference.

Once I have that information asked for above I can carry on helping you.

Sponsored Links
Back