Moisture behind a tile

That all looks fine but I would advise you use products from the same manufacturer; as I said, B&Q stock Mapei addy but remembre to use flexible on any boarded tile base.

By boarded Tile base, do you mean for floor tiles. Or should I use flexible adhesive on Plasterboarded Walls too?

Sponsored Links
Not talking floors, that’s a whole different ball game; are you doing those as well? Plasterboard walls weather it’s a stud wall or dot & dabbed onto a slid wall, likewise any tile backer board; in fact use flexi on anything that’s not a solid wall.

Not talking floors, that’s a whole different ball game; are you doing those as well? Plasterboard walls weather it’s a stud wall or dot & dabbed onto a slid wall, likewise any tile backer board; in fact use flexi on anything that’s not a solid wall.

No just doing the walls.

This seems to be what I need. Only thing is, this is normal setting stuff. The rapid setting ones at B&Q are not flexible.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1288613212652&isSearch=false

Would thins be ok? I'm not in a major rush to grout so I can leave for 24-48 hours before grouting. Only thing is, do these adhesives also have grip when wet? Like the tub stuff.

And when mixing, so I make the same sort of consistency as tub adhesives?

The one in your link doesn’t seem to be a specific Mapei trade adhesive which I didn’t realise before so I’m unsure. The link says it’s suitable for large format tiles, is cement based & also says flexible so I’m usure which one you were looking at in store; you still haven’t said what you’re tiling onto! Maybe it has a retarded in it to make it more DIY friendly; should be fine but I have never used it so :confused:

Rapidset will grab a tile & hold it there in just a few seconds so work quickly & accurately; fix tile with a slight twisting motion. The bag instructions should give you guidance to mixing ratios; tub consistence is probably a good starting point but you want it thin enough to allow easy troweling but not so thin the ridges formed by the trowel collapse into each other & run down the wall but if you mix it too thick it will be difficult to tile, it will skin quickly & tile adhesion will be poor. It’s very difficult to explain as tillers won’t generally measure anything out; we just put water in a bucket, mix in the addy & know when it’s right.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the adhesive in the link is suitable for large tiles and is flexible, but it is not rapid setting. That’s not a major issue is it?

Well I am tilling of mixed surfaces. One wall is stud wall, with fresh plaster board. (Well it was before the tiling) One and half wall is dot and dab plaster board and the rest is a mix of skim and part painted areas.

Thanks, I get the consistency bit. I guess not far off from mixed cement.

Yeah the adhesive in the link is suitable for large tiles and is flexible, but it is not rapid setting. That’s not a major issue is it?
As I’ve already said, I’ve not personally used it; Mapei is a quality brand so it should be OK but the “Buildfix” range doesn’t appear to be listed in their trade products so I’m unsure how it differs. Unless someone else can give you confidence on using this particular version of Mapei, it may be safer if you went with BAL.

As I’ve already said, I’ve not personally used it; Mapei is a quality brand so it should be OK but the “Buildfix” range doesn’t appear to be listed in their trade products so I’m unsure how it differs. Unless someone else can give you confidence on using this particular version of Mapei, it may be safer if you went with BAL.

Thanks. sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to mess the tiling up again.

This one seems to be rapidset, felexible and suitable for wall tilling. But it doesn't mention about larger format tiles. Do you have any experience with this product? or do you know if it is suitable for the larger tiles?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66281...Wall-Adhesive-Grout/Mapei-Keraquick-White-5kg

Keraquick is a premium product but the problem with the Screwfix offer is are they are only 5Kg bags making 20kg £23. It’s stock clearance & they don’t seem to have anything larger, more expensive than other outlets but not sure what delivery charge will be. Have you tried contacting local trade tile stockists in your area (apart from Topps), they can be surprisingly keen on price even without a trade discount.

Slightly cheaper, this would suit your requirements equally as good; http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/mapei-mapeker-grey-flexible-rapid-set-adhesive-c2f-20kg.html

Thanks for all your help. With the delivery charge, the big bag would have costed more. I have just order 7 smaller bags from screw fix with free delivery. If I have any adhesive left over, I can return at my local store, so it’s convenient. I hope I don't have any more questions now.

You made a nice job of getting them flat but sort out the level on your shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back