Monoblock cold water tap - flow stopped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen cold monoblock water tap doen't work, over the past few weeks the water flow has decreased until now no water comes out even at full tap opening. All other feeds to the connected dishwasher and garden tap still flow OK.
I can't seem to find a way into the tap assembly to look for the problem, only a grubb screw that allows the arm to be removed. I can't see any makers identificatio on the tap.

1) Any idea what the problem could be ?
2) How can I get into the tap 'workings'?

Sponsored Links
1) Probably the washer has perished and 'spread' across the inlet.
If you have ceramic disc taps, then the problem is more likely to be an obstruction.

2) Almost always there is a plastic or metal cap on the tap handle.

Remove this with a small screwdriver or knife blade, and you should see a screw underneath that you can undo to release the tap handle.

Now isolate the water supply to that tap, and you can undo the tap body with a suitable spanner or wrench.

When I remove the blue plastic piece off the tap it appears to be blind hole underneath, no screwhead or antthing to undo !!

In that case, the method of removal is one of the following:

a) find a grub screw somewhere on the side of the tap handle, undo it, and pull off the handle;
b) pull the tap handle away from the tap, along the axis of the spindle, with the right combination* of strength and control.

*The "right combination" can be determined by trial and error, aka 'years of experience' :)

Sponsored Links
There is no screw on the cold tap handle, only on the 'swivel spout' part of the assembly. I've also tried pulling the tap and levering it with out success.

Unfortunately there is no maker id on the tap.

These taps must pull off somehow !!??

Can you describe the tap handle accurately? Or take a photo and post it here?

So far it sounds like there is a cover on the top of the handle, that you need to prise off. And I'm not talking about the coloured part that you removed before.

It may not be obvious, but if there's any kind of seam whatsoever, into which you can carefully ease the edge of a knife, then this is what you should do.

There is no cap. Just a plain solid knob with a blue plastic cold ' indicator' moulding that pushes into a blind hole. The only seam is where it meets the main body of the tap (where it rotates).

Are taps ever made where you can't remove the 'knob' ? or is it just a click fit that just needs some brute force ?

M271 said:
Are taps ever made where you can't remove the 'knob' ? or is it just a click fit that just needs some brute force ?
Never seen one that can't be removed - I can't imagine how it would be assembled anyway.

Does the tap handle 'rock' slightly on the spindle? Or is is as firm as a very firm thing? If it rocks with very little force, then I think you should be going in the direction of the 'brute force and ignorance' plan.

Photo?

I dunno who makes that B&Q tap, but it's a common enough styling that probably adorns tens of thousands of kitchens around the country!

It's hard to tell from the small image, but I would lay any money that there's a removable cover on that B&Q tap - one that prises off carefully with a knife edge.

Unfortunately there isn't a removable cover/cap on my tap. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back