More Downlight questions......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Another boring downlight question for you.

I’ve got a large extension (8x3m) which I’ve completely gutted in order to convert it into a Kitchen/Dining Room.
I’ve installed all of the sockets, external lights, and 2 main lights but we’re wanting to add Downlights to the mix.

My question is what is the best way to wire these in and which downlights are the best to go for (240v or Low Energy)? We’ve got 10 downlights in total to fit and I’m a little concerned that the lighting circuit might not take it.
Also, I’ve been reading conflicting information on the net which says they must be connected to the Lighting Circuit and then others saying they should be connected to the Ring Main via a FCU. So which one is correct?

Although I’m quite competent on the Electronics side of things and I regularly build circuit boards, this is something completely different..... although the same If that makes sense.
Just want to make sure it’s right.

Cheers.

P.S. I know they need to be wired in Parallel. :D

Sponsored Links
:eek:
:eek:

We need an icon with a shaking head.

With respect, an electrician should be doing this for you.

If your existing lighting circuit 'can't take it' you should run a new circuit back to the consumer unit.

Lighting should, where possible, be put on actual lighting circuits and not run via a FCU from the socket circuit.

Though the socket circuit can provide a few lights, such as outside and wall lights, it's not desirable to put a house extension worth of lights on it.

If you lose the socket power then you lose the lights too.

240v LED lights are good at the moment.

Parallel indeed.

I’ve got a large extension (8x3m) which I’ve completely gutted in order to convert it into a Kitchen/Dining Room.
I’ve installed all of the sockets, external lights, and 2 main lights but we’re wanting to add Downlights to the mix.
Are you aware that all the work most be done in compliance to building regulations, the relevant wiring requirements, notified if required and inspected/tested and a certificate issued to cover this work?

My question is what is the best way to wire these in and which downlights are the best to go for (240v or Low Energy)?
Your choice but you state below that you have 10 already, what are they?
We’ve got 10 downlights in total to fit and I’m a little concerned that the lighting circuit might not take it.
That would depend of the total demand and rating of the circuit, would need more information to give you an informed answer.
Also, I’ve been reading conflicting information on the net which says they must be connected to the Lighting Circuit and then others saying they should be connected to the Ring Main via a FCU. So which one is correct?
Neither statement is correct with regards to "must and should"
The one most logical, practical and normal, is to connect to the lighting circuit. But you could install to a ring final circuit but for reasons mentioned earlier, if you had power loss to the ring final you would also have no light, so that is not an ideal situation.
Just want to make sure it’s right.
I am sure you do, but just plugging in and play, does not mean things are right, so remember the importance of design, method of installation and the correct inspection, test and certification procedures prior to putting the the circuits into service

Sponsored Links
which downlights are the best to go for (240v or Low Energy)?

Well, you have a problem there.

240v is a voltage level and Low Energy is a description of a type of lamp.

There are 240v LED fittings, 240v CFLs, and others. All of these are in the "low energy" box.

So, what sort of lamp do YOU want and how much of the polar ice cap do you want to melt while you are doing it..

10 downlights with 50 watt halogen lamps in them is crazy. That's half a kilowatt to light a room that could easily be lit by two 60watt incandescent lamps. Even better if you were to use low energy bulbs. A couple of 11watt CFL bulbs would be plenty.
So, your first decision: 22watts or 500watts?

Will your existing lighting circuit "take it"? 500 watts at 240 watts is
well you are
quite competent on the Electronics side of things
so lets hope you know how to work Ohms LAw?

So, work out how many watts you already have on the lighting circuit, and add the new load:
Second decision: is the load too big? If so, then you'll need to find another way to feed the lamps.

See its easy really..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back