More shoddy electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Junction box for downstairs room wall lights, note all the earth wires twisted together outside the box.

Wall lights also wired with speaker wire chased into the wall, seems to be a common thing in this house...!!

Sponsored Links
It was a fairly common practice to twist the earths together outside the junction box, on lighting circuits. In those days earthing lighting circuits wasn't always required, and so connecting earths wasn't taken too seriously. Even when earth sleeving was introduced, it took a while for people to use it all the time.

There are still a few knocking about around my way, I suspect a mint one would fetch a pretty penny on eBay, I know XR2's do, I bloody scrapped one a few years ago, infact I paid someone to take it away :evil:

Sponsored Links
Would rather have an RS500.

Actually, I'd really rather have one of these:

lotus%20carlton-L.jpg

but we're getting OT...

I bet it has a lot of in-accessible junction boxes and dodgy plug and socket connections. ( back on topic )

Lotus Carlton. very nice and rare!

(Back on topic) joint boxes like this are quite common in older houses. Speaker wire obviously is not. Probably and addition carried out by a not so clever Mr DIY.

I bet it has a lot of in-accessible junction boxes and dodgy plug and socket connections. ( back on topic )

it does.

found some more today, some twist on cable connectors stuffed into a metal conduit box, with no earth.

Sheds.. you really don't strike me as a driver of one of those (wished or not).
I see you more of a..

sean-connery-db5-sm.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back