mortaring ridge and hip tiles in the cold. can it be done???

L

liam999uk

Basically as posted. Can it be done without problems in the cold weather???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can but put anti freeze and rapid hardener through the mix.

If it drops below zero through the night it will bleach the mortar as well.

If its for yourself then its up to you but I would't do it at this time of year.

What about covering it for a few days with hessian to protect from frost and maybe a few sheets of polythene?? Would that help? Been speaking to an old bricklayer I know who recommended this!

Sponsored Links
We have successfully done it but it takes a lot of effort. Better to wait for milder weather.

Surely if protected from frost and rain until set then no problem??? or am I being naïve?

Yes it can be done this time of the year, but you just need to keep an eye on the temp's.
If they fall very low then a sheet is not going to help.

How low we talking? The problem is I have not got the time to wait for better weather. unless I install a better dry ridge and hip system.

Just pop a tad of frostproofer/hardener in it mate and as long as you hessian it you'll be good for couple degrees below zero. Obviously using a decent sand like meridan red building sand and some blue circle cement not that Quinn shit

Never again shall I have a roof done on a property. Would rather sell it first....... thanks all.

Its not just a case of covering it with hessian which would help but then you have the problem of the wind blowing it off. As from 2014 latest regs for new roofs stipulate mechanical fixing now.

Its not just a case of covering it with hessian which would help but then you have the problem of the wind blowing it off. As from 2014 latest regs for new roofs stipulate mechanical fixing now.

am using a mortar security kit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back