Mosaic. How do you do them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finished the prep and started the bathroom today. Going reasonably smoothly although grey adhesive and white tiles is probably not a good idea. Keep having to clean out the spaces to leave room for the white grout. (Black grout with white tiles!! Would that work?)

Anyway I have never used mosaic before and don't know the technique. Got several problems.
1. The grey adhesive is coming through all the spaces and will make it impossible to grout. Do I use different adhesive for the mosaic?

2. I can't get them level. They slip down onto the tile below and when I try to reposition them I push then in to deep etc.

Mosaic is Ligurian Red (1" square glass) and adhesive is Mapei fast set powder.

Totally stressed. Off down to Morrisons for something stronger than wine.

Sponsored Links
Use a mosaic trowel then you won't have so mauch adhesive which will reduce slumping

Use Mosaic adhesive such as BAL which is a bright white so if you do get a bit come through its not so bad.

Set the sheet a bit above (3mm or so) where you need it and ease it down that way its less likely to drop.

Push the mosaics down with a grout float to get even pressure on them.

J

Deffo have to get different adhesive for the mosaic. One detail I missed in my post is that it is not a whole mosaic sheet. I have cut a full sheet into four strips so I can use it as a border so each strip is now 12 tiles long and 3 tiles high. Will have a look at Screwfix tomorrow for some mosaic ahesive.
Thanks, Raymond.

The way I do mosaic borders is to cut some strips of say 6mm MDF or Ply the width of the border and any grout allowance. Tile the wall inserting the strips of MDF in place of the mosaic, make sure you don't stick the MDF to the wall and pull it out once the adhesive has firmed up say after 1hr

You can now run your mosaic adhesive into the gap beetween the main tiles, place the mosaic and just use the grout float again to press them in flush with the main tiles. If they do start to drop then a few strips of masking take will hold them upto the tils above.

You may find there is a lot of difference in thickness between the mosaic and the tile, don't try to make it up with adhesive, either stick some cheap 150x150 tiles to the wall to build it out or use thin Wedi board.

J

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Making progress now albeit slow.
How to you pros cut glass mosaic. I am using a small angle grinder with a diamond blade but the tiles are chipping a bit, possibly because the blade is past its best. Not a disaster as all the cuts are in a corner which will have a silicone bead instead of grout but wondering what you use.
Cheers,
Raymond.

A manual tile cutter will snap that size in half, any smaller and its a wet cutter job

J

I am only taking about 3mm off. Angle grinder is working ok provided I take my time and don't use much pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back