kevplumb said:
So in this case i would have charged:-

Diagnostic 84
CC & meters 26
Valve 55
Draindown 60

Total £225

robbing b*****d you should have a stripey jumper and a mask :rolleyes:

Why so? How much would YOU charge to the job in London? Don't pretend your travelling costs are nil.

Many people living in Bayswater have an income which is large, why should they have that, and why should they be able to buy someones time for a mere fraction of their own? I favour charging an hourly rate based on the rate the customer earns.

Sponsored Links
well said .........I recon the rate should be pro-rata the value of the house .........does a Ford Garage charge the same as a BMW/ Merc one :rolleyes: and aren`t they both @ £60 an hour min :?: Why the F** should trades who know how to construct/ maintain Houses be expected to live in shacks.....that is so 18th Century:cool:

oilman said:
kevplumb said:
So in this case i would have charged:-

Diagnostic 84
CC & meters 26
Valve 55
Draindown 60

Total £225

robbing b*****d you should have a stripey jumper and a mask :rolleyes:

Why so? How much would YOU charge to the job in London? Don't pretend your travelling costs are nil.

Many people living in Bayswater have an income which is large, why should they have that, and why should they be able to buy someones time for a mere fraction of their own? I favour charging an hourly rate based on the rate the customer earns.

simple enough i make a living i don't want to be rich i don't want 2 cars i want to make enough to keep me

end of

the job is the job is the job

the bits cost the same wherever you are :rolleyes:

Agile..Firstly you are about the only one on here that continually tells us what they charge so it`s not a case of us being interested what you charge it is a case of you constantly saying..

i would not be charging £84 to diagnose a simple fault as a valve head gone and then extra to actually fix it , and nine times out of ten if it is not the motor it is the circuit board gone and the valve body is still perfect so a head change is the correct path to go. Also in your breakdown of a valve motor change can you tell me how you get the thirty four quid for a motor.

Personally i would be the cost of valve head approx thirty five quid and with diagnosing and fitting and testing being less than an hour about forty five quid labour. Could stretch it out and pretend to be diagnosing it and charge a lot extra but prefer to leave a customer satisfied with job and price and move onto the next one or the golf course.

Charge everyone the same even if they are millionaires i make a very good living and see no need to alter prices accordingly. Only exception being if it is someone i have done work for before or a mate and it is something simple as in fifteen min job i quite often don`t charge and say pay me next time amazing how many big jobs you get from that attitude.

As for draining down i only do this when a bung doesn`t hold which is very rare in my experience and in regards this topic yes i do use them on 3 ports also..

And i notice in your breakdown of cost of this job you have not allowed for replacing the inhibitor now considering how much you go on about the importance of flushing etc i why are you not replacing it

Just out of interest these jobs you do by using tube and public transport how do you charge these and surely as you cannot carry too many parts it must play havoc with your claimed near hundred percent first time completion rate

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I dont understand why everyone is so interested in my charges
They're not - they're interested in pointing out the fact that you continually publish your charges, and the fact that you're a steaming hyprocrite.

namsag said:
Just out of interest these jobs you do by using tube and public transport how do you charge these and surely as you cannot carry too many parts it must play havoc with your claimed near hundred percent first time completion rate

There is a massive interest in charges because everyone wonders if they are paying more or less or charging more or less.

We decided ages ago that a transparent charging regime was best so that we could quote our charges to callers on a fixed price basis to cover almost all eventualities.

We hope to be able to take the spares we expect to need on PT and by ensuring we have the relevant information on boiler model and symptoms thats not usually any problem. Most faults can be predicted before we attend on site.

We make no additional charges in the unlikely event we have to make a return visit. Its surprising just how efficient its possible to be on PT visits.

If we use PT then we charge exactly the same as if we went by vehicle to compensate for the extra time taken. Its beautifully stress free going on the tube or bus to repair a boiler with absolutely no risk of a parking ticket! In any event central London is not cost effective and if we had any choice we would avoid that area.

I do feel sorry for the many ordinary people who live inside cities on ordinary wages and I am happy to offer our services at reasonable rates compared with the call out firms.

Tony

kevplumb said:

simple enough i make a living i don't want to be rich i don't want 2 cars i want to make enough to keep me

end of

the job is the job is the job

the bits cost the same wherever you are :rolleyes:

You are supposed to use the hemp for making joints, not for smoking :LOL: :LOL:

Is it not fair to make money as a business and better your financial postion?

I like most must put in a 16 hour day (at least) to ensure their business survives.

I have a family, who generally misses out on my time because Im working.

Why do i do it?

I want my family to be well provided for.
To replace the car when its needed
To take my kids on holiday (and the wife if I have to)
To want financial security

AND most of all, to try to alleviate the financial burden placed on most families which forces then into false claiming or crippling debt.

16 hour days take their toll (and this is spring now) and us gas engineers are literally are worth our weight in gold!

I never rip people off as my customers are my wage,, but I would love to be financially secure when Im 60, move to Cornwall and catch makeral every night.

AND never pick up a stillson again.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back