Most Likely Causes Of Clunking From NS Front Hub Suspension?

Of course, if the shock is a gas filled one, there is very little oil involved so therefore no real leaks!
You should be able to compress the shock easily, but find it very difficult to extend by hand.
Are the bottom shock rubber bushes ok?
The noise could come from the shock of course but it’s impossible to say for certain.
John

Thanks for your reply, John. What type of shocks would likely be fitted on a 2004 Scudo van? Oil or gas? How would I know? I'll try compressing and extending it. There aren't any bottom bushes, the shock/strut bolts directly to the hub/knuckle.

I'm thinking it's likely that by shaking the top of tyre inwards and outwards and getting slight movement and rattling - by now directly moving the shaft of the shock I'm getting the same/similar thing. Have you or anyone known of worn shocks that caused noise when driving along? I may have to drop the shock into my friendly, local MOT garage and see what they think.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to compress the shock easily, but find it very difficult to extend by hand.

It must be shot. Shaft goes in easily and pulls out or comes out on it's own just as easily. Not much resistance either way, and I can't imagine it's doing much absorbing of shocks. So new shock it it. Then I suppose I'll have to do the other side quite soon after. :rolleyes:

Had a quick look for shocks online and most that are for my van don't seem to have both of the two small brackets on the lower part to clip the brake hose and low pad warning wires rubber grommets into - but the Sachs ones seem to have both brackets. Are Sachs any good?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the original shocks are likely to be oil or gas? Looks like the choice mainly comes down to Monroe oil or Sachs gas, no real difference in price. Which ones are best for a van that only gets light use? What are the advantages of either? Or doesn't it make much difference.

EDIT>>> Reading up on the subject, an article stated that with oil shocks, the shaft will stay in if you push it into the body, but gas shocks will come back out. Does this sound right? Going by my shock, the shaft does come back out on it's own - so more than likely, they're gas shocks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Indeed, that’s what gas shocks do - but not with huge force. The van has to pull the shocks to nearly their full extent, and when you consider how heavy the vehicle is, the shocks have to cope with that. So, they compress easily but are much harder to extend again.
Oil or gas filled makes no difference in road behaviour.
With your mileage, the shocks have to be past their best but often it’s hard to tell.
John

What type of shocks would likely be fitted on a 2004 Scudo van? Oil or gas? How would I know?

Cleaned off the oil and grime on the sticker on old shock and it says 'Sachs' and 'contains nitrogen'. So a new Sachs gas shock it is, just as the manufacturers intended. Then another one for other side when I get more time.

Back