Most powerful shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm starting my house extension on Monday, which includes extending the bathroom. I currently have an electric power shower. (Mira 10.8kw) and to be honest its pretty lame. At full power it needs to be around 80% heat on the dial so I'm thinking its a limitation of the shower rather than poor supply pressure.

Anyway...

I like the idea of these type of heads, but at 16" square its going to need a lot of water/power.

http://www.bathempire.com/jonha-shower-with-16-square-led-head-body-jets-and-handheld_p4030474.htm

What is the best way to do this? I've seen overhead water storage tanks and pumps, but this would still need a water heater and unless there is something i've not seen i'm not going to get better than the 10.8kw I currently have.
I'm going to need a big combi boiler for the CH, approx 30kw, can this be used? How do I increase the pressure?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
The shower requires 1 bar minimum which you should easily get off the mains, as it would be with a combi boiler. Any idea what your water pressure off the main is?

If you only have one bathroom, then a 30kw combi will give a very good shower, especially compared to the dribble from electric showers. The shower head (400 quid :eek: ) only needs .5 bar to operate, so unlikely to be any worries there. Just buy a good quality thermostatic valve in to control it, eg. Grohe.

If you have several bathrooms, and several people in you house who will want to draw water for various uses at the same time, then you may need to think again with the combi, as it may struggle to keep up with demand.

The shower requires 1 bar minimum which you should easily get off the mains, as it would be with a combi boiler. Any idea what your water pressure off the main is?

I did look at this, but I was thinking it might be a statement as a "min" to make you buy it thinking it'll be ok. Most shower heads say the same. I don't know the actual pressure, I've never measured it, but will before I make my final decision. It must be over 1 bar as it had no problems topping up the CH to just over 1 bar pressure.

If you only have one bathroom, then a 30kw combi will give a very good shower, especially compared to the dribble from electric showers. The shower head (400 quid :eek: ) only needs .5 bar to operate, so unlikely to be any worries there. Just but a good quality thermostatic valve in to control it, eg. Grohe.

If you have several bathrooms, and several people in you house who will want to draw water for various uses at the same time, then you may need to think again with the combi, as it may struggle to keep up with demand.

I didn't particularly want that shower head, just that size. Although the £400 includes the body showers as well. I'd still need a mixer unit I think though.

We will have 3 bathrooms, but there's only really me that will shower. The kids are too young and just bath. The Mrs the same.

Is there a way to have a more powerful shower? I.e. larger bore pipe from boiler to shower/larger boiler, pump system with tank. Specific shower boiler?

Sponsored Links
A combi boiler would generally be high pressure anyway, but you'd get more flow out of it than you would the electric shower. I'm not sure it'd supply enough for that 16" head though, you need to check your incoming mains dynamic pressure before you do anything else

A combi boiler would generally be high pressure anyway, but you'd get more flow out of it than you would the electric shower. I'm not sure it'd supply enough for that 16" head though, you need to check your incoming mains dynamic pressure before you do anything else

I'm assuming dynamic pressure is the pressure with taps etc running? Can I test this myself by using a normal pressure gauge then running the taps etc.

Doesn't sound like a combi will be suitable for 3 bathrooms, as well as considering hot water demand from the kitchen. You should look into an unvented hot water cylinder to supply your needs. Before you can consider this option, you need to know the presssure and flow rate of the cold main into your house, to know if this option is viable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back