MOT failures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car makes with highest mot failure rate are ( according to the analysis by the national scrap car for the year to June )

Renaults 37%
Mini 30%
Vauxhall 28%
Citroen 27%
Peugeot 26%
Fiat 24%
VW 25%
Ford 24%
Nissan 23%
Mitsubishi 22%

Sponsored Links
Interesting figures, but needs the top reasons for failures to actually mean anything.

If Renaults fail on sidelight bulbs mostly, but Mitsubishi fail on corrosion (items plucked as example, not as reality) then the figures are just numbers of no meaning.

Yep the french get into the top five
And the mini and Vauxhall probably have french parts ?? :)

What age of car do the figures represent? 37% of 10yr old cars failing an MOT is not news!!

Sponsored Links
Also, I think it's important to know how many of these are failures that are subsequently fixed.

This is as classic an example of why most statistics are nonsense.

Apart from 'mini' not being a make, we have no context in which to place the information, or if indeed it isn't 'made up'.

It’s worth mentioning though that a 'failure' could be, and often is, simply a blown bulb, an empty washer bottle or an under pressure tyre. All these defects can be rectified at the end of a test (not during) and a pass certificate issued but they MUST initially be recorded as a failure.

And we all know the saying, 'Give a statistician the answer you want, and he will will give you the question."

Statistics are one of the easiest things to manipulate, simply by asking questions in a certain dialogue.

As a correlation. A young man who had autism was asked if he could cook for himself. He replied yes, so he was asked what did he cook.
"Chips", he replied. A tick goes in the box. What else, he was asked.
"Peas". Tick in the box.
"Garlic bread." Tick in the box.
After this had gone on a bit longer the young man was deemed fit to live away from his family home if he so wished.
Then his mum asked the same questions but in a more detailed form.
"What can you cook?" - "Chips."
How do you cook them? - In a chip fryer.
What do you do while they are cooking? - Play on my Gameboy.
Where do you play it? - Upstairs in my bedroom.
When do you know if they are cooked? - I can sometimes hear the fryer ping or I come and check after finishing my game. :eek:
The rest of the questions were asked in the same sort of manner. Thankfully the original decision maker swiftly changed her mind about his ability to live on his own and we attended a meeting with senior management and trainers to instruct them how to conduct these types of interviews in future. It was also recommended to them to re-evaluate previous cases using this method.

It's not WHAT you ask, but HOW you ask. This is why statistics can often be worse than useless, if the information is not requested correctly.

What's on the form?

Lights?
Suspension?
Tyres?
Bodywork?
Scoundrel?

And we all know the saying, 'Give a statistician the answer you want, and he will will give you the question."

Statistics are one of the easiest things to manipulate, simply by asking questions in a certain dialogue.

As a correlation. A young man who had autism was asked if he could cook for himself. He replied yes, so he was asked what did he cook.
What most folk cannot understand is . . . . . That young mans answers might be used as a route to reduce the cost of a service.

The young man has autism, nobody needs to convince him that he doesn't need the service. It's society in general that needs the convincing & they like to use their 'fake' statistics to justify their actions.

Statistics are great. But you need knowledge and wit, or failing those, common sense, to use them. Too many have too little of those.

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr
Sponsored Links
Back