MOT failures

Is there that many 10 year old Renault's?
Surely it's down to maintenance, so more to do with owners. Maybe Renault owners skimp on maintenance?

My friend is a Renault mechanic.

Also, have unfortunate personal experience of owning Renaults.

1. They can be extremely fiddly to maintain.
Example, failed headlight bulb.
My mate told me that they quoted £50 to replace headlight bulb.
Customer would say no thanks, only to sheepishly return and book it in anyway.
Mate told me it was an easy job, if your wrist was triple-jointed, and you knew exactly how to position the bulb blind......
2. They can be very expensive to maintain and repair.
New electric window motor, even with mate's works discount; £250.
3. Just not that great.
I had a company car (Renault) from new, that went back time after time. Low oil constantly, going through the lot inside a month. Time and again, Renault couldn't find a leak.
Eventually told me it was probably burning it, and to live with it.
For a low - mileage, Renault-serviced car, rubbish having to put 5ish litres of oil in every six weeks.....

Perhaps owners give up?

Sponsored Links
I have fond memories of a Renault I owned long ago. C/W a 4ft long spark plug spanner !

I had been looking for a used vehicle for around 8 months.
As part of that search, as most l would hope for older vehicles, was to check the Mot history. I was initially surprised at the failures for worn suspension and broken coil springs but not so much after thinking of the number of potholes and speed bumps around.
The 20 year old VW I eventually found had only one minor failure in its history.,:)

My friend is a Renault mechanic.

Also, have unfortunate personal experience of owning Renaults.

1. They can be extremely fiddly to maintain.
Example, failed headlight bulb.
My mate told me that they quoted £50 to replace headlight bulb.
Customer would say no thanks, only to sheepishly return and book it in anyway.
Mate told me it was an easy job, if your wrist was triple-jointed, and you knew exactly how to position the bulb blind......
Miss Mottie had a Renault Clio once. I ended up taking the front bumper and grille off to change one of the bulbs. Pig of a job.

Sponsored Links
What's on the form?

Lights?
Suspension?
Tyres?
Bodywork?
Scoundrel?
It’s not just the failures. Advisories can be quite shocking too!

879DCFC2-405E-4C7B-844D-357AED99CAE4.jpeg

Need to look at failure as a percent of stock by age otherwise it’s meaningless.

Lots of Ford fiesta on the road, so I’d expect the numbers to be high.

Only two French cars I ever liked - Traction Avant and DS. Don't doubt they were technically advanced, but a total nightmare to maintain.

French cars, so will regularly refuse to work and be awkward. Scoundrels!

I've never bought a french car, they seem to be for people who wouldnt be seen dead in a ford or vauxhall but cant afford a merc. I understand that to an extent, the french make very stylish cars inside and out. But at least they have a car industry that provides employment. I had hoped brexit would encourage the resurgence of a british car industry with state subsidies where appropriate. It's one thing to knock the french for poor reliability, another when the same people don't buy british made - - or at least british built - cars.

Blup

I've never bought a french car, they seem to be for people who wouldnt be seen dead in a ford or vauxhall but cant afford a merc. I understand that to an extent, the french make very stylish cars inside and out. But at least they have a car industry that provides employment. I had hoped brexit would encourage the resurgence of a british car industry with state subsidies where appropriate. It's one thing to knock the french for poor reliability, another when the same people don't buy british made - - or at least british built - cars.

Blup
I bought a Vauxhall Vivaro but its actually a Renault Traffic

I bought a Vauxhall Vivaro but its actually a Renault Traffic

This is a more modern thing now - sharing platforms = cheaper development costs.

Example being a Mitsubishi Outlander = Citroen Cross-something = something-I-can-recall right now.......

I had a Peugeot 405.
Never done any maintenance, never added any oil, never washed it.
Just put diesel in it and drive.
60mpg+.
Never let me down.
Unfortunately I had to scrap it for rust in the wheel arches.

Eventually told me it was probably burning it, and to live with it.
For a low - mileage, Renault-serviced car, rubbish having to put 5ish litres of oil in every six weeks.....

Absolutely ridiculous amount of oil usage, are you sure that is correct.

If it is, then it's getting regular oil changes..........:giggle::giggle:

Last edited:
They need comparing with the number on the road and what they failed for.
national scrap car for the year to June
Actually scrapped? Maybe some have more terminal smash ups than others.

I've never owned a French car (apart from a Nissan). I think the worse car I ever owned for reliability was an Alfa Romeo, It wouldn't have past the MOT after months 6 and wasn't right the day I picked it up from new. Ditched it back to the car pool after 6 months of getting locked out and having most of the electrics fail.

Absolutely ridiculous amount of oil usage, are you sure that is correct.

If it is, then it'd getting regular oil changes..........:giggle::giggle:

Quite sure; Renault Wolverhampton.
1.9 diesel engine, bought brand-new and serviced at the specified intervals.

Sponsored Links
Back