Mould on Silicon in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone!

We are hoping to sort out some black mould that we've got in our bathroom over the weekend as its been spreading for a few months now.

I was just wondering whether there is anything we should/could use to "kill" the mould after we have removed the existing silicon? The silicon thats currently on there has only been on for a year. It is "anti-mould" and was used to replace the previous "normal" (non anti-mould) silicon which got really mouldy.

We will be using "anti-mould" silicon once we have removed the existing one.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Zigs

Sponsored Links
Your bathroom does not have enough ventilation. Enough ventilation = no mould.

A fungicide will kill the spores, but silicone is a bad sealer IMO. Acrylic ones don't seem to suffer so much.

Hi Oilman

THanks for your reply.

We have a small window in our bathroom and always leave it open a couple of inches. It does steam up a bit however. Should we ad some form or extraction fan? We are on the top floor flat. Could we just extract into the loft?

Is acrylic sealant the same as what is used around wood (i.e. skirting, etc.) If so, I thought this cracked easier than silicone and was not anti-fungal?

Regards

I have found that cheap silicon sealer and cheap painter's sealant both suffer from mould and also shrink thus leaving gaps.

It seems best to buy the better quality brands as they last longer before needing replacement. I now use Unibond but I am sure there are others as good.

Sponsored Links
Use Dow Corning 785 :D

You'll get it for a fiver a tube on Screwfix.

This is an excellent silicone,I also like to use the Everbuild "forever white" with microban technology silicone

What ever you do not exhaust the moisture laden air from the bathroom stright into the loft this will do you roofing timbers no favours at all!

You need to vent to outisde atmostphere and ideally fit a fan with humidity stat built in which can cut in and out as necessary in regards to the level of humidity contained in the bathroom

good luck :D :D :D

also a little tip, when you apply the sealer dont smooth it out with your finger. use a spoon or fork handle etc etc. or anything that fits. apparently bacteria on your hands and fingers that goes into the sealer over time multiplies and can cause black mould too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back