Mountfield engines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are instructed to not tip a Mountfield mower any way but back. But no reason given other than it's bad for the engine. Is it bad in any way other than the oil may get above the piston? It's not going to damage it in some other way is it?

Sponsored Links
If you tip the machine on its side, oil can run into the air cleaner housing, and be sucked in when you try to start.....similarly, raw petrol can flow into the cylinder if its tipped the other way.
John :)

So if I remove the air cleaner first that should solve it? I need to be able to get underneath to replace the drive clutch cable.

Personally, I'd drain the oil off, and maybe the petrol too.....replacing the cable to the rear axle gearbox is a bit of a pain, due to the crap and chaff thats under there.
Sometimes access even upside down is nigh on impossible - and its quicker to unbolt the axle and lift that away, curiously enough.
I can't say 'enjoy' but I hope the job isn't too bad!

Sponsored Links
Yes, I thought I'd drain the oil off. Mind you, I suppose it would have to be via the filler because there doesn't seem to be a drain plug.

Yep, that's the way it's done, often enough!
A straight 30 grade oil is recommended on refill but a car type 10/40 oil will do fine.

Can't get it apart, John!! I've taken out both screws each side that hold the handle on andtwo more small screws each side right up against the wheels but I can't see where the axle carrier separates fropm the main body. The red plastic grass deflector seems to be mounted across the join, for one thing.

Often enough, the axle is held by clamps and screws on the underneath - but designs vary! Sometimes there are screws through the side of the body, but the wheels need to be off to access them.
Its also occasionally possible to see what's what when the belt guard is removed, again from the underside.
Major work, just to replace a darn cable!

Sure is major! I've got the belt guard off and the screws you speak of (I've had to convert a posidrive head so that I can access a screw that has virtually no headroom), but I cannot see what's supposed to move. I've prised bits with a screwdriver but no luck. I've found this problem sometimes when trying to remove linings from a car door. If you know they are meant to pop out when you prise them then that's fine, but too much of this might end up breaking off unseen lugs. Anyway, I'm off on a week's holiday tomorrow so it will have to wait. Thanks for your help, though.

Enjoy your holiday!
A pic or two of the set up could help us, if you can.
Has the cable actually snapped, do you know? All the cable generally does is to move a lever on the axle gearbox 45 degrees to engage the drive.

Can't be sure that it's snapped. I just made that assumption. TBH I can't really see what the problem is until I get it apart.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what you find.
I only hope its not the final drive gearbox that has called it a day.....its not an uncommon problem and the simple remedy is to use the machine as a push machine rather than to shell out for an expensive replacement.
The control cable is a single strand affair that is more prone to kinking than snapping.
Enjoy your holiday! At least the grass isn't growing too fast just now.

You may be interested to know that when I got back from holiday, and being in wimp mode, I took the mower to a repairer who took one look at it and said (a) the drive belt was off and (b) the 'clutch' handle had popped out of its hole in the main handle. I hadn't noticed this, but it had caused the cable to hang loose and look as though it had broken. When I got it home to put these items right I found that actually the drive belt was not off but with the handle back in place it now works fine! I can't think how I didn't notice the clutch handle out of position. Doh! I must say, it would have been a big coincidence if the belt had come off and the handle popped out at just the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back