Move the soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm following on from this issue a bit (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67667) but thought it needed a new topic really.

I have the issue that I want to put a new WC in the downstairs cloakroom which currently has a low level system with a vertical soil pipe coming up from the ground (requires an S-trap pan) but all the toilets I can find to buy have a P-trap pan. There doesn't seem to be many S-traps made anymore.

CIMG1559.jpg

CIMG1560.jpg

I'm looking to install a close coupled system so if I use a pan with a P-trap, as you can see from my pictures, the pan would be located well away from the wall due to the placement of the soil pipe and therefore the cistern would be well away from the wall as well. Currently the distance between the back of the soil pipe and the back wall is 165mm (6' 5") if this helps.

I'm after a cheap toilet (no need for basin) so ebay has been the best place to look but it's full of P-traps.

Can I move the soil pipe back a bit closer to the wall? Is there an easier solution to this? I think an S-trap would mean the pan would be closer to the back wall but as I said these are hard to come by.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
generally a close coupled pan requires the soil pipe to be around 10-15mm away from the skirting.

looks like you will have to move yours in by 6" then ;)

noseall said:
generally a close coupled pan requires the soil pipe to be around 10-15mm away from the skirting.

looks like you will have to move yours in by 6" then ;)

:( Is that a big/messy job? What are my other alternatives? Doing away with a close coupled pan and just renewing the Low Level?

they`re all horizontal outlet now :idea: and you use a connector to get to the soil pipe in floor/thru wall/left/right ;) ...you`d need a connector shaped like a :?: ...or if the floor is wood then you might get enough offset under the boards

Sponsored Links
It's not a small job :confused:

I would take the lino up and floorboards and cut the pipe below the floorboards and then use two 90 degree bends to move the pipe further back to the wall. You will need to cut it quite low to allow this all to fit under the floorboards.

good luck ;)

adwt2004 said:

I would take the lino up and floorboards and cut the pipe below the floorboards and then use two 90 degree bends to move the pipe further back to the wall. You will need to cut it quite low to allow this all to fit under the floorboards.

good luck ;)

I think I understand. So effectively the pipe will be popping up a bit closer to the wall ( 2 90 degree bends underneath the floor). Then I would need another 90 degree bend to connect the pan to the soil pipe?

pipe.jpg

The floor is cruddy old chipboard and due to a leak has gone soft, sunk and needs replacing so pulling the floor up is not a problem.

If you have the space under the floor you might be better off using a couple of 45 degree (135degree?) bends, so there's less chance of anything getting stuck going round the corners.

bashdem said:
adwt2004 said:

good luck ;)

I think I understand. So effectively the pipe will be popping up a bit closer to the wall ( 2 90 degree bends underneath the floor). Then I would need another 90 degree bend to connect the pan to the soil pipe?

pipe.jpg

The floor is cruddy old chipboard and due to a leak has gone soft, sunk and needs replacing so pulling the floor up is not a problem.

Yeah that's how I would tackle it. The simplest way to be honest. I did this is my house and it works fine.

Won't be easy tho that looks a bit tight for 2 x 90 degree bends

I wont say I told you so :)

sime10 is right - there's absolutely no way you'll achieve as small a set as 150mm with two 90° bends in 110mm soil pipe.

You've got three choices:

1. Don't get a c/c WC - buy a new low level WC with an S trap.
2. Build a small false wall (or just a box) behind the cistern.
3. Buy a WC that's purpose-made for these circumstances.

There are three purpose-made WCs I've come across:

A. Kohler Freelance
B. Laufen Moderna
C. Twyfords - I think it was the "Entice".

The only one of this type that I've installed was the Laufen, which had a special (expensive) pan connector that fixed to the wall in the correct position and the pan was pushed back onto it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back