Move upstairs bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Hope this is rightly placed here and not the plumbing forum?

We would like to move our bathroom to this new layout

How do we move the waste around the chimney? I presume there needs to be some sort of 'drop'? As we are attched to neighbours property we cannot go out through that wall! :confused:

Under this bathroom is our new kitchen /diner.

Where the existing toilet is will be our bedroom and will have fitted wardrobes.

Thanks for any advice all greatly appreciated.

Rusty

Sponsored Links
Can you put some dimension on there? In which direction do the floor joists run? It looks pretty torturous & you must have a fall on the drain (minimum 1:40 ideally) or it won’t work. It must also comply with several Building Regulations & is controlled building work so you should be submitting a Building Notice, having it inspected & possibly tested to get a compliance certificate which you will need to produce in the future. If your kitchen is immediately below, are there any foul drain runs in there? Is there a downstairs loo? What sort of floor is it in the kitchen below?

Hi

Many thx for the swift reply. I have attached another pic with info' for you.

BC have been advised and subsequently approved all works we intend to do btw :)

We are putting in a downstairs loo, which has an existing soil pipe. This is an option I guess but the pipe would be further away than attaching to the one which is being used at the mo' (if that makes any sense!?)

Cheers again

Rusty

Personally I think you're asking for trouble. The pipe from the new W.C. position needs at least 4 bends to get around the chimney breast, it's going to have to be run above floor level as the joists run the wrong way, and it may prove difficult, if not impossible, to get an adequate fall on the pipe.

Pulling that lot apart to clear it when it blocks will not do your carpet/decor any favours..... :( I'd look for another route to the drain if you really must have a W.C. there.

Sponsored Links
BC have been advised and subsequently approved all works we intend to do btw :)
I don’t follow how they could have “approved all the works” if you haven’t started yet? They may have said “no problem” to the general works in principle but they will probably still want to inspect the detail installation before issuing a compliance certificate; have you actually submitted a Building Notice?
We are putting in a downstairs loo, which has an existing soil pipe. This is an option I guess but the pipe would be further away than attaching to the one which is being used at the mo' (if that makes any sense!?)
The joists are going to make an under floor foul drain run nigh on impossible & it’ll look terrible snaking around the room & dontl forget the access points; if you plan on a shower in there, how are you going to feed that, the trap will be at or below floor level. You could run along the underside of the ceiling below & box in I suppose but you still haven’t said what the ground floor construction is or exactly where the downstairs loo is.

to the football chant of here we go --- Saniflo Saniflo Saniflo ;)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

As we suspected this was going to prove difficult using the existing soil pipe :confused:

Our other option (as the house is a renovation project and not complete by a long shot!) would be to go straight through the floor down along the wall and under the kitchen floor to existing pipe. Another pic attached (please excuse my drawing!)

Looks like a pipe of approx 6m under the fllor which is suspended timber joist over what looks like 'earth' void (1930's semi detached). There is space under the floor to just about crawl around if that helps? :confused:

Based on a minimum 1:40 I guess we would need this to drop at least 150cm??

Once again really appreciate all the help.

Have a great day

Rusty

If you can get access under there it’s the obvious choice, it’s what I was thinking; job done. Maximum run for unvented 110mm soil branch is 6m so you will need to ventilate, either via an open stack through the roof or, as you appear to have at least one other open stack, an AAAV (Durgo) valve. Make sure you support the pipe run adequately & provide rodding access to satisfy BR’s. Remember, you will also need to submit a building notice, notify for inspection at required stages & possibly do a BI witnessed test but not always.

Based on a minimum 1:40 I guess we would need this to drop at least 150cm??

Nope. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

150 mm ( 15 cm)

and write out 100 times

" I must learn to tell my mm from my cm " :D

I was thinking about converting our integral garage to a new en-suite bedroom. One problem is that it is on the other side of the bungalow to the present bathroom. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a toilet must not be more than 2m from a stack pipe (or whatever it is called).

Hi again! ;)

Back to this project, as we are removing the stairs which is roughly were the new bathroom is going to be we will have the option of running the soil stack in between the new joists and not directly down as per previous post.

The run of this will be 4m then through exterior wall to then run outside and meet the existing soil stack with vent.

Just to confirm the 4m run will need to have a drop of at least 100mm we could achieve 200mm if this was best? What would anyone say is the optimal drop? Armed with this info we can calculate what would be best for the exterior run...

Hope this makes sense and look forward to any help :D

Rusty!

we will have the option of running the soil stack in between the new joists and not directly down as per previous post.
Confused; do you mean bringing the stack up between the joists or are you running the horizontal part of the drain from the loo between the joists?

The run of this will be 4m then through exterior wall to then run outside and meet the existing soil stack with vent.
So it connection to the stack going to be at high level rather than at ground level? Remember the maximum length of an unvented soil branch is 6m; if the total length to the vented stack exceeds this, you will need an air inlet (Durgo) valve.

Just to confirm the 4m run will need to have a drop of at least 100mm we could achieve 200mm if this was best? What would anyone say is the optimal drop? Armed with this info we can calculate what would be best for the exterior run...
1:40 (25mm per/m) slope will be OK; if you take it too steep over longish runs, solids can tend to hang in the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back