moved into a new house and cannot find thermostat anywhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I don't think i am being stupid but i cannot find my thermostat anywhere and the radiators do not have dials on them to suggest that they have a thermostat attached.

Can a boiler run without a thermostat? all i know is that the rads are v. hot and must be costing me a fortune!

any help much appreciated
thanks

fi35

Sponsored Links
yes, they can run without room stat, but it means turning off at programmer when you get too hot, and on again as you cool down.

Many heat-less people reading your post will be thinking " you don't know how lucky you are mate"

But being serious for a moment, a room stat will give better temperature control of you accommodation than what appears to be your current set up.

To help you sort out your perceived problem the make, model and if possible the G.C. or Gas Council number of your boiler will help others offer useful advice.

Tim

and if possible the G.C. or Gas Council number of your boiler

Yep, can't beat the old GC number. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to fit a room stat without this vital bit of information - it's just asking for trouble otherwise. Oh, and watch out if its 073-564-097.

Sponsored Links
look under the boiler. if there is only one cable, unlikely that you have a roomstat. if there is more than one, follow them and see where they go

Don't really get this Ben :confused: I fit 3 core + earth flex so my boilers only have one cable whether room stat or not.

Room stat would normally be wired into wiring center rather than boiler would it not :confused:

Or am I too full of xmas cheer :LOL:

i use 5core as well, but have not seen anyone else's work with 5core.
i only fit combis, so no wiring centre :D
as most of the systems i see are between barely pass and atrocious, i assume the worst.
if it was installed properly, the roomstat would be hard to miss so it probably does not have one.
should have asked if it actually is a combi of course.

Yep I use 5 core on the Ecotec Plus 400 series, always looks neater with 1 cable, but a pain to fit as it is so wide ;)

thanks for all responses - will have a look at make and model etc tomorrow once i have managed to cool the house down

previous owner (who i now think was a dodgy builder as i have a number of issues ) also put the boiler within reach of the bath (although housed in a box) which means that i can't get it maintained annually by my water company - they came to look at it and said - no way jose! whilst the engineer was here i asked him to look at the pressure as it seemed a little low at 1 bar and he had to use a mirror to find the switch and it was all a little fiddly apparently!!!

think i need an engineer to come and sort it out and fit a thermostat - my baby's room is 26 degrees at the moment!

i can't believe i am complaining about the heat - i normally love it!

the boiler is a Halstead combi (not sure of make as i had to throw the booklet away as it was in a bag which had animal pee in.. not joking) the receipt is a little illegible but maybe finest gold?

the GC is 47 33306/07108

the serial number is FXG 57871 0238

i have found the service booklet when it was installed in 2002 and it says no thermostats were fitted on rads or room or are existing

Can i therefore get an engineer in to fit a thermostat??

forgot to ask in my last message - if a room thermostat is a pain / not possible can i get new rads with thermostat valves? i think i read somewhere you shouldn't have too many in the house with this function???

ALSO

my hot water is wierd - if the taps are on too much the hot water comes through luke warm - i have to have the taps running very slowly to ensure i get hot water.

thanks again

yes. A wireless one will cause less disruption for you and should cost no more than wiring a conventional stat into the system.

thanks Dave - should i contact a heating engineer or an electrician for this job??

A heating engineer. Although there are many good sparks out there for some reason the majority in my experience do not understand heating systems and will not take them on. I have never found out why though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back