Movement triggering lighting from both ends of a track

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a track that leads to my and 5 other's houses.

The track is approximatly ~150 feet long with the houses evenly spaced along the track on both sides and we would like to add lights to it.

My 'problem' has 3 layers of possible complexity:

(1) I would like to install sensor lighting so that will illuminate the wholetrack but can be triggered from 3 points along the track. (A movement sensor is no good for the person at the top of the track if they have to walk to the bottom of the track to activate it !)

(2) If (1) is possible then what about this. Is it possible to have 2 lights at each point, 1 pointing up the track and 1 pointing down and ONLY trigger the lights that are pointing in the direction you are travelling. (I think the solution to this may involve 2 sensors at each node, pointing in different directions and connected to 2 different circuits. When one is activated the light shines on the other's sensor thereby deactivating it - any other suggestions?)

(3) Is it possible to expand on (2) and have JUST the lights that are required light up rather than the whole track turning on when triggered.

Solution (3) would result in the people at the bottom of the track having lights shine their way pointing only in the direction of travel ('out' or 'home') and lighting only the bottom part of the track. The people at the top would have the whole track lit up when they left home in the dark and on their return home the lights would turn on as they progressed up the track.

Please offer solutions to any of (1),(2) or (3)
Christopher

Sponsored Links
You can get wireless sensors. That might suit you. The batteries have to be changed from time to time.

Who will pay for the electricity? It is easy to have a system with multiple sensors operating multiple lamps, but this would be on a single circuit.

An easy way to do it would be for each housholder to have 1 or 2 lamps, with a sensor pointing up and down the track. You will probably find though that some of thenm turn it off "to save electricity" and also if the lamps are dazzling and annoying.

You might also consider dawn-to-dusk lanterns with compact fluorescent lamps. These run for (say) 50 hours for 10pence each on a lamp equivalent to a 100Watt bulb, or half that for a less bright one. Again you will always find someone who is convinced that switching them off will save lots of money.

JohnD said:
Who will pay for the electricity? It is easy to have a system with multiple sensors operating multiple lamps, but this would be on a single circuit.

You will probably find though that some of thenm turn it off "to save electricity" and also if the lamps are dazzling and annoying.

A similar situation over 1/2 mile of private road had all the lights and sensors fed from one house via a private meter and each house owner paid in proportion to the length of track ( and hence time lights were on ) between their house and the public road. Contraints imposed by the local authority required minimum light spillage and no lights on when not necessary

The control on this one was not simple and involved a small industrial PLC ( programable logic controller ) to control the lights in response to several sensors. It also included a form of "traffic lights" to help avoid cars meeting head on and one having to reverse.

Bernard
Sharnbrook
UK

Right now I am not worried about WHO pays for the electric and where the power originates from just how to do it.

I will want to reduce the fuel bills and limit the amount of light spillage and I want it to be a permenent solution with low maintenance (no batteries)

Your suggestion is like having separate circuits all the way along so that it is simply like each person in the 'street' having a movement sensor 'porch light' and each one turning on as you walk along the street.

I am interested in the logic controller I don't need the traffif light so the logic controller is probably overkill - but what's wrong with overkill everynow and then "!"

Sponsored Links
The plc plus sensors plus programming could cost upwards of a grand, the decent ones arent cheap. Plus the cost of lights and cable, and not to mention the price of a competent electrician (as its outside) to install it all. Cheapest way would probably just be using PIR spotlights. How about turning the pir at 180 degrees from the lamp direction, so when it spots you the light turns on facing away from you, thje direction of your travel. Leave it on for about 2 minutes, leaving enough time for someone to be able to walk to the next (even though itll mostly be cars)

That way, you wont have lights shining in your eyes, as you wont trigger the ones pointing at you until you have driven past them (or unless a car has already passed from the other direction)

You can use a small logic controller from Siemens, basic start up kits are available from RS

click me

By using the software on a pc you can design and test your program before downloading it to the controller. Using external movement sensors for inputs and whatever type of lights on the outputs, you can swap and change the switching program to suit. And if any mods are required at a later date just add more I/O, modify the program and download to the controller

edited to make link smaller. But link has "timed out" :cry:

PLC's are not that much, I use them (want to buy one :LOL: ) BUT i dont see the point in this case.

Why not mount bulkhead lights with CFL lamps and multiple pirs.

You are still going to need the pirs to operate a plc, and what will the plc turn on? Lights (probably bulkhead lights with CFL lamps)

Actualy this is better than a PLC

PLC.jpg

:oops: :oops:

Sorry bout that link timing out!!!
This is the kit I was thinking about

LOGO_Starter.jpg

I've used these quite a number of times for small industrial control panels and found them easy to install & program. Also extra modules are available to expand the base unit if required at a later date.
You only need to buy the starter kit once, after that just buy the individual units to suit whatever control is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back