Moving 2kw Electric wall mounted fan heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

As some of you may have seen, i live in a flat that is all electric.
In the kitchen and bathroom there are wall mounted electric fan heaters.

I think both are rated at 2kw each.
On the Fuse box there is a separate fuse for each heater.
Each heater also has a wall switch.

Kitchen:
I have decided to move some appliances around in the kitchen, including moving the washing machine to where an under counter fridge was, and cutting the work top and putting a full sized fridge where the washing machine once lived.

Unfortunately this means the Kitchens wall mounted fan heater will be directly in line with the fridge freezer.

I would like to move this to an empty wall in the middle of the kitchen.
Can i do this my self?

Either by extending the electric supply (the heater has its own wall switch)
to the new location, or disconnecting the wire for the old location and running a new one to the RCD

Bathroom:
Also can i do the same with the bathroom wall heater which is mounted directly above the basin. I want to mount a bathroom cabinet in that location.

Sponsored Links
As long as you're not installing a new circuit, or installing inside a zone, you can do this work without the need to notify.

As long as you're not installing a new circuit, or installing inside a zone, you can do this work without the need to notify.

Hi, Thanks for responding so quick.
By Zone do you mean like splash zones within the kitchen and bathroom?

Both the bathroom and kitchen move will be further away from the water sources.

The wires will definitely not be a new circuit.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have been way clearer.

You need to adhere to the safe zones when running cable. But, when in the bathroom, you can work outside the zones (ie 0, 1 and 2) without notifying.

Hi guys thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the link, it made a lot of sense.
I forgot to mention, i dont plan on concealing the cables in the walls. My plan is to use the white plastic surface mount ducting in both locations.

In the bathroom it will be about a meter away from the current location, on the adjacent outside wall.

In the kitchen it will run along the length of a beam, and opposite to the sink.

These are zones of a bathroom, //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones.
Any new cables or equipment fitted within these Zones becomes notifiable work. Also regulation will state that the appliance is suitable for that zone with the correct IP ratings and as the room contains a bath/shower then RCD protection would also be required.

The circuit does not need to be new, but any additional cable which extends or alters the circuit must comply to the requirements.

It is something you are allowed to do, providing you notify notifiable work and then can prove the work has been done to the relevant standard and is safe to put in to service.
It is often thought that when installing or altering electrical circuits or equipment, that this is a plug-in and play situation(it works, so it's fine), it is not, the additions/alterations require testing, as would the RCD.

So without trying to sound harsh or undermining your ability.
My question would be,
Once you have moved and altered circuits, do you have the correct approved and calibrated equipment and knowledge of the use of this equipment and the understanding of the readings produced, to prove what you have done is safe?

Lol. The simple answer is no. So definitely not a DIY job for me then

Now to find a leccy

:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back