Moving a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving a consumer unit about 5 metres to the right of its current position. The existing consumer unit (BS3036 fuses) terminates almost at ceiling level. Once I have removed the existing consumer units I want to connect all of the circuits into connector blocks mounted on a din rail inside an insulated enclosure(obviously keeping all PNE seperate to preserve the integrity of the circuits).

From this enclosure I will run all the circuits in large trunking to the new consumer unit position. At the meter end I will put in a 100a DP switch and then run 16mm2 swa to the new consumer unit. Obviously I will do all necessary inpsections and tests before commmencing the work, I already know the equipotential bonding and main bonding need upgrading.

My questions is this, can anybody point me in the direction of a wholesaler who sells din rail mountable terminals? Please dont point me in the way of crimps, I have all the gear but have found a couple of times when testing that crimp joints are unsafe, and have had to cut and redo. Any other advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
You mean like Klippon rail? Most wholesalers, RS, Farnell, CPC etc.
Are you sure 16mm SWA is suitable? Are you allowed a 5m run using the service head fuse for protection?
I take it you know about part p?

Spark 123 thanks for rply and the link, exactly what I'm looking for. I know meter tails are not recommended for longer than 3metres. The consumer unit is in a basement area. Thats why I thought swa for added mechanical protection. In your experience is there any other way round this other than getting the service head moved? This would be uneconomical for the client. (Yes have Part P and will cert work) but to be honest have never moved a unit more than a couple of feet before

It was the 16mm which just seemed a little bit small to me - I don't have my regs to hand though, whats the rating of 16mm SWA and volt drop? The electricity supplier can stipulate how long a piece of cable their service fuse can protect.

Sponsored Links
2 core (XLPE) SWA can carry 110A clipped direct and will drop about 1.5V over 5m carrying that current.

So 16mm XPLE SWA sounds fine, you need to take into account that this is a 90ºC cable when terminating.

16mm thermosetting swa is rated to 110amps and volt drop is 2.9 mV/A/m. So volt drop <1volt. The main fuse is 80amp(tbc). (yes is small house).

Sorry you have all done and dusted my latest info so my last posting was of little use, am having trouble with wireless internet connection, keeps cutting me off all time. Thank you all very much fellas for your contributions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back