Moving a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

I am trying to figure out what's involved in moving a doorway in my hall, for some reason the doorway from my hall to the kitchen is under the stairs, recently gave my hall a coat of paint and a new carpet but now I am contemplating my kitchen but the doorway needs moving first

I would prefer it if it was moved to the left and under the stairs would then become a cupboard for hoover ironbaord etc......

There is no wall above this doorway right above it is the landing upstairs as you will see in pic1 and pic8

View media item 29837
View media item 29838
View media item 29839
View media item 29840
View media item 29841
View media item 29842
View media item 29843
View media item 29844
View media item 29845
View media item 29846
View media item 29847
View media item 29848

Sponsored Links
You say there is a door under the stairs. I can't see it in any of your pics.

What is the wall or panel made of beside the stairs, where I presume you want to put the doorway?

has the internal layout been altered since the house was built?

can you draw a plan?

Sorry if my pics are not clear enough, pic1 show my cooker in my kitchen. The doorframe was removed when we moved in and the edges then skimmed

As far as I am aware regarding brickwork the house is the same as when it was built, the wall to the left of the kitchen doorway is made from bricks

cooker? is that what I can see under the landing? so there is no door, just an opening?

if the panel at the end is brick, it is probably holding up the landing and/or stairs. Or there might be a wooden post (that panel does not look original to me. What have your neighbours got?) Take a few floorboards up for a clue.

Sponsored Links
cooker? is that what I can see under the landing? so there is no door, just an opening?

if the panel at the end is brick, it is probably holding up the landing and/or stairs. Or there might be a wooden post (that panel does not look original to me. What have your neighbours got?) Take a few floorboards up for a clue.

I agree this brick wall could be holding up the landing, does this warrant any kind of inspector before I start the work, seeing as it is brick I would imagine some sort of lintel to go across the top of the new doorway, concrete or wood?

Apologies for the noob questions but we all start somewhere I guess

I need this to be done prior to starting my kitchen so whatever it takes this door needs moving

you will probably have to prop up the landing and stairs with acrows before cutting the doorway, inserting a lintel and rebuilding. However this is a safety-critical job and I would not want to give advice without seeing it. You may understand better how the house is built when you look under the landing floor, take the plaster off the panel where you plan to put the doorway, and look at your neighbours houses to see if they have got a doorway there. To my eye the house looks as if it might have been designed with one.

you will probably have to prop up the landing and stairs with acrows before cutting the doorway, inserting a lintel and rebuilding. However this is a safety-critical job and I would not want to give advice without seeing it. You may understand better how the house is built when you look under the landing floor, take the plaster off the panel where you plan to put the doorway, and look at your neighbours houses to see if they have got a doorway there. To my eye the house looks as if it might have been designed with one.

Thanks for your help JohnD

A while back someone was visiting us regarding double glazed windows and it was this person who told us that quite a few people on the estate had made this change, the house is pre-war and it had original sash windows 2mm glass which was a pain if someone walked past right when I farted, :D

Am unsure why someone would move a doorway to under the stairs, I can only assume it was built like that

1. Does this require an SE to tell me more info or could I just run with a typical lintel for this type of job?

2. Would the old doorway need bricking up or would a dry wall suffice?

3. Would the lintel need to go right across the wall from far left to far right spanning the whole width of the hall?

Appreciate your help very much, am not in a position to call in a professional so am doing all this myself were I can

see if you can find a sensible DIYer who has lived in a similar house for some years and already done it. Probably an older man. Join the residents association, neighbourhood watch, swingers club and get your wife to go to coffee mornings. That way you'll meet them all.

The lintel would need to be supported by brickwork or steel at each end, and might need a pier. But some staircases are help up by wooden posts.

I don't know, if it was me I'd take the plaster off that panel, and look under the landing floor for clues.

see if you can find a sensible DIYer who has lived in a similar house for some years and already done it. Probably an older man. Join the residents association, neighbourhood watch, swingers club and get your wife to go to coffee mornings. That way you'll meet them all.

The lintel would need to be supported by brickwork or steel at each end, and might need a pier. But some staircases are help up by wooden posts.

I don't know, if it was me I'd take the plaster off that panel, and look under the landing floor for clues.

Joining the local swinger club does sound tempting but too many old people live on my estate so its a no go am afraid!! :LOL:

Have a look at this for me pliz dawg, think its a bit obvious that am gonna need a lintel full width of my hall let me know what you think

View media item 29922
If i whizz out a rough opening of 34" thats 30" wide door plus 1" door frame either side with 1" for spacing that only leave a 3" column of brick

Regardless of what is holding up my stairs would I need a lintel anyway just to hold up all the bricks that will be above the new doorway

Thanks

yes

you might need a pier if there is only 3" left. Look under the floor and see what it stands on.

I cant rip up my floor its laminate :(

Plus I wouldn't know what am looking at, all I know about building sites is what you see when you drive past!! :LOL:

Would a lintel spanning the width of the hall suffice?

You say I might need a pier, is that with a lintel also?

Seeing as I have only just decorated the hall and had a new carpet put down I don't really want to do too big a job for this am only trying to figure out the logistics for the job, then I will find out how its done and from there I will know if I can do all or some of it

But just on looking at these pics is possible to determine a minimum amount of work that can do this? good safe job I mean not a workaround

Hi,

Afraid I can't help with the doorway question, but just wanted to say the lime green walls look great - what brand and shade is that if you don't mind me asking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back