Moving a gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

NOT asking for DIY help (it is DIYNOT after all :) ) - just curious over price to expect to pay, or expected job length.

Job would be to alter the route of a gas pipe to a hob, the change would be the last 5 meters. The last 5m of the route, current and new, is exposed and accessible. Nothing to make good. And reconnect old hob. And come back in a few weeks and connect new hob.

Assume it'd need new piping and stop cock.

If it was water, as a DIYer, it'd take me 2-3 hours to do the pipework. I'd expect experienced person to take less (and do it 10x neater lol). +bits + connecting hob, plus coming back to reconnect new hob (same location). Plus, of course, testing.

Don't know what the hourly rate is for a gas safe engineer? (Around here I paid £25/h for electrician - is gas safe more?). So what sort of budget is fair?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no idea of what hourly rate you would pay, remember an hourly rate is normally based on a full days work.

you will need the gas safe engineer to disconnect the hob if your changing the worktops/ kitchen which will involve another visit.

Before extending a gas pipe, it must first be established both that the new length can supply the correct amount of gas to the intended appliance, and also that it's not going to affect the operation of any other gas appliances. As gas operates at very low pressure, longer pipework runs restrict the flow, and each elbow used counts as an additional metre of pipework.

Additionally, any gas installer altering the existing pipework becomes responsible for the whole installation, so if for example your pipe to your boiler was undersized then that could potentially need re-doing as part of the job too

Having established what actually needs doing, expect to pay around £40+vat per hour plus materials for the work

Sponsored Links
Thanks
The pipework length is, within a few cm, the same - its just being rerouted from a previous install dogs dinner.
The boiler and hob have been working away merrily for 10+ years, and trouble free since I've been here (5 years) - so should be out of the equation.

£84 mentioned above? that'd seem fair and reasonable. Sadly nowhere near a figure I have just been given :(

The boiler and hob have been working away merrily for 10+ years, and trouble free since I've been here (5 years)

The pipework length is, within a few cm, the same

All irrelevant to the case. It still needs checking and changing if subsequently found to be inadequate. It being there and "working fine" does not mean it is correct.

45years was being tongue in cheek as there is a regular here who loves quoting figures blindly which is incredibly frustrating and unhelpful.

Just because they're apparently working correctly doesn't mean they were installed correctly, and if they aren't then my previous comments come into the equation. Ultimately if someone was to alter your cooker pipe and then subsequently you suffered a gas-related incident as a result of an undersized gas pipe to your boiler, the person making the alterations could be held responsible for the incident as they should have carried out the necessary checks at the time of altering your cooker pipe

The £84 given above wasn't a realistic figure - there's a poster on here who works in £84 or multiples thereof for everything, and often gives strange, unrealistic and inconsistent price quotes for jobs he hasn't seen, so it was an "in joke". He'll no doubt be along in a minute

Thanks, useful to know and sorry, yep, not here enough to know the in jokes.
Ironically, had another quote just now very close to that figure.

It won't be a big price to pay to know your whole installation is safe. Just don't get BG to do it as they'll condemn all your appliances just to sell you new ones!

£100 plus vat for the first hour and materials.Thats what my gasman charges.greater London area.
Central london costs a lot more...http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/charges-original
Your job is a one off unique alteration so gas man can charge what ever they want,your job may be to small for many gasmen to bother about so get local gasman list from gas safe site and ask.

edit,as above avoid bg and companies that offer 24 hour emergency call out.

From what you have described, I don't yet see why you need the pipework rerun at first. That makes two visits necessary.

Here in London, most of the time taken on smaller jobs is just getting there and parking and paying for parking. I expect 30 min to get there will often be a minimum. Little less to come back hopefully as no parking to contend with.

For a five mile trip one afternoon which would usually take 25 minutes, it took me over three hours because there was one accident and one vehicle fire! That was just a routine boiler service for a friend which is a 30 minute job! In the middle of the afternoon too when the traffic is usually light.

So the less number of visits means a lot less to pay.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, forgive my gentle ribbing - you take it in good heart, and it is not meant maliciously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back