Moving Bathroom Upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am getting my bathroom moved to upstairs (got quoted £850 to plumb everything). I have a brand new Worchester Combi boiler but I am a bit confused about the shower. I am getting a shower tray but I am unsure if I need an electric shower or one of these. If I get an electric shower I will need to get an electrician out but my question is if I get the shower pictured, how is it powered? is it powered directly by the Combi boiler? Also the room the bathroom is moving to has a standard wall light. Would it cost much to have that changed to a pull down switch from the ceiling to meet regs?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 11.24.00.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 11.24.00.png
    346.1 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
You can have either type of shower, the one picture runs off the hot and cold water supplies, but will lose pressure/stop if someone else draws water off in the house, as it is unlikely the boiler will be able to supply 2 outlets at once with hot water, and is the cold supply is interrupted by use elsewhere then the shower may cut out for safety reasons.

Personally, I'd go for an electric shower, will work independently of the boiler, (although it may also cut out if the water supply proves inadequate when water is drawn off elsewhere), but you have the back up then of being able to get a shower is (when) the boiler breaks down.

Sponsored Links
Hughs comments are correct, but to be more specific, it depends on the number of people in the house, useage patterns, and water pressure. I've just changed the incoming water mains, and the water pressure is now great, so cold water can be drawn off anywhere without affecting the hot supply from the combi to the type of shower you're thinking about, but as Hugh says, if someone else turns on the hot tap, then the shower goes cold.

But the real question is, what are the plumbers supposed to be doing for the £850. They should have told you what type of shower they are going to fit within the price, so are they supplying it in their quote, alongside the shower tray that they are obviously fitting. I think there's a bit of miscommunication going on here.

With an adequate cold supply, and a thermostatic electric shower, the shower pressure would drop but still stay hot, but you'll add another £300 or so to put in an electric shower, as it needs to wired back in to the fuse board. Is the light switch in a convenient position to cut it through the wall to the corridor, or would the electrician need to get in to the loft space, and route it several feet away. You'll need to get someone in to give you a quote.

So what are you doing about ventilation in the bathroom whilst it's being refurbed. If the electrician is moving the light switch, get him to fit a fan with an overrun timer as well.

Choosing an electric shower over a thermostatic shower fed from a combi is madness. If I could pick any type of shower regardless of boiler etc, an electric shower would be my last choice.

A thermostatic bar shower should not go cold if someone else uses a tap. A reduction in flow yes, but not run cold.

If he had a better quality shower yes, but not the one that he's looking to buy. Otherwise I completely agree with you.

Choosing an electric shower over a thermostatic shower fed from a combi is madness. If I could pick any type of shower regardless of boiler etc, an electric shower would be my last choice.

A thermostatic bar shower should not go cold if someone else uses a tap. A reduction in flow yes, but not run cold.

You cannot make that judgement unless you are aware of the capability of the water supply within that property. New house on a 25mm supply, probably fine, Victorian Terrace on a shared supply, seen them where next door turns the tap on and the house I was in went to a trickle.

Also the issue of bathing if combi fails. At least with an electric shower, that remains available regardless.

When we moved to our current home, it had an ancient Ideal floor-mounted DHW/CH boiler with a water tank. The shower was electric. That was quickly replaced with a Worcester Bosch combi and a thermostatic shower, which is heaps better. The old shower connection is now spare and available for any other use.

Yea I have a new Worcester Bosch combi also so thought thermostat would be better as it will just really be me in the house so water pressure won't really be an issue. The £850 is for the actual plumbing. I am using my existing sink and toilet from downstairs which are fairly new. I bought the shower tray and enclosed and the shower. Just tiling around the sink and shower so in total will be looking at around £1300 after cushion floor

£850 for the plumbing sounds a bit of a rip off, so just exactly what are they doing for that sort of money. How many quotes did you get.

Bathrooms should get building control approval, but not many people bother.

Got a few. The room upstairs is empty. Essentially he is installing the WC, sink and shower so will have to install waste from new room and install new piping etc. I thought £850 was a good price as I got a few others ranging from 900-1500. Plus he is well regarded as I have used him before a have my neighbours. Having looked into building regs

Sounds fair enough then, but if the plumber is installing the shower, then is he quoting for the installation of an electric shower, or the water supply side of an electric one.

That includes fitting the thermostatic shower not using electric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back