Moving boiler into loft

Sponsored Links
I have a Baxi boiler in my loft, was installed by previous owner. 4 years old and no problems. TOUCH WOOD!

Live in a bungalow with no storage space, and nowhere really to put a boiler other than the loft.

No but you are , Boilers and lofts do not make good bedfellows
Ooh, touchy! You seem to be about the only plumber on here that doesn’t like boilers in lofts in case they need resetting every blue moon. Ah, I get it - you’re one of those that ‘don’t do lofts'. You like boilers that are fitted where it’s convenient for you to get to once a year. Where’s your boiler fitted - next to your armchair in your lounge for convenience? As you assume I’m thick, I’ll assume you're either fat, lazy or just scared of heights. Maybe all three?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it a heat only or a combination boiler? Do you live in a house or a bungalow? Do you have a cold fill dishwasher or wash dishes by hand?

dal5band, yes there are boilers with remote controls.

Any leaks are straight through the ceiling..
Possibly but how much water is there in a boiler compared to how much water is in a cold water storage tank or vented expansion tank and they fit those in lofts. I would think there is more chance of suffering from frozen pipes in a loft without a boiler.

Possibly but how much water is there in a boiler compared to how much water is in a cold water storage tank or vented expansion tank and they fit those in lofts. I would think there is more chance of suffering from frozen pipes in a loft without a boiler.

Not necessarily the boiler, it depends if it’s the cold main that freezes, or even the hot water pipe fed from the cold main (on a combi of course). If it’s heat only, still a tank.

Pressurised boiler, lots of joints, there is a frost stat but that stops working in the event of a power cut so anti-freeze may be necessary but if a combi you can't put it into the domestic pipework compared to stored cold water, insulated properly, low pressure, no insulation beneath the cistern.

Not necessarily the boiler, it depends if it’s the cold main that freezes, or even the hot water pipe fed from the cold main (on a combi of course). If it’s heat only, still a tank.
Mines a heat only, sealed system so a gallon at most if a boiler pipe froze and split.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Didn’t think so. It’s the fear of lofts that gave it away.

Last edited:
I fookin hate boilers in lofts for many different reasons.
The main one is Trussed roofs on modern houses with little headroom. Wall mounted boilers are designed to be hung on a wall at face height Not 3" from the floor and hidden behind all the $ hite that people throw up there.
The boiler is also in extremes of temperature which does nothing for reliability.
Most loft ladders are flimsy and IMO dangerous.

Am I prepared to carry my gear up a loft ladder and lay on the deck to repair A badly fitted boiler in mid summer when the loft is 45° ??
Not a fookin chance !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back