moving consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to move the consumer unit without rewiring. What junction box should i get to extend? Also with each ring main, would only one cable come to new unit or would two still need to go from each ring?Could one 32A cable be used?

Sponsored Links
I would like to move the consumer unit without rewiring. What junction box should i get to extend? Also with each ring main, would only one cable come to new unit or would two still need to go from each ring?Could one 32A cable be used?

The groundbait has been thrown, will anyone bite the line?

i'm not attempting it myself, i will use an electrician , i was just wondering how easy/hard it would be to do as i dont want to have to rewire.
It will be same distance from main supply just on opposite wall.

Sponsored Links

The groundbait has been thrown, will anyone bite the line?

I feel a bit peckish so I'll have a nibble ;) :LOL:

Yes you can use a single cable (radial circuit) rated at 32amps and above between the protective devise and the start of the ring circuit.

Yes you can use a single cable (radial circuit) rated at 32amps and above between the protective devise and the start of the ring circuit.

But why would you do that? Adequate consideration should be given to future testing.
It's a RFC, leave it that way.

all i want to achieve is move the consumer unit, as exsisting cables will not reach the new location, can these be linked from a junction box to new consumer location?

Adequate consideration should be given to future testing.

If the posters spark decided that was the best way of extending the RFC, how would it have a detrimental effect on future testing?

Adequate consideration should be given to future testing.

If the posters spark decided that was the best way of extending the RFC, how would it have a detrimental effect on future testing?

If he was going to give adequate consideration then both ends of a ring final would be at the distribution point for measuring of r1, r2 and rn.
It may or may not be obvious where the junction box with one 6mm or 4mm and 2 x 2.5mm conductors are located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back