Moving a Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to move my Consumer Unit so that it is next to the incoming supply metre. A Move Of About 4 Meters...this means that the incoming tails can be cut to length, but all the rings will be too short. Is it OK to simply use correctly rated junction boxes or is there a better way to extend the cables?

Thanks In Advance!!

Jon

Sponsored Links
see for reference. it is much simpler to call in the rec, get an isolator fitted (or fit one yourself and get them to connect it up), then you can dabble to your heart's content, knowing the CU and tails are safely isolated, and you won't have to bother the REC again.

has he answered the question ? no i dont think so ! correctly rated junction boxes should be ok but i'm no expert just wanted to help ...

There is nothing wrong with an adequate joint/joint box.just think every socket you have it's a joint every light you have it's a joint,etc,etc...

Sponsored Links
Is the only reason you're moving it so that it's closer to the meter? Seems a bit anal...

This topic has come up lots of times before - do a search for topics containing moving and consumer or moving and CU, or extending.

Or variations on crimp (crimp, crimped, crimps, crimping, ratchet), as the debate usually ends up with some people saying you mustn't use JBs, and that proper ratcheted crimps are the only answer, and then other people wonder if crimps are really suitable for solid core cables, and then I propose Plan C which is to use DIN rail mounted through-terminals enclosed in an adaptable box:

C815789-01.jpg

But you really do need a better reason to move it than you've given...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back