Moving consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My consumer unit is in the garage, just above the main incoming cable. I want to move my consumer unit about 3 metres from the main fuse (tails etc.

What will i need to do this? and what size cable will i need to use, the consumer unit is a split 12 way both protected by RCBs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
3m is the max limit, so you could just use long tails

I would fit metal capping to protect them though.

Fun moving the twin and earth

Ok thanks, i didn't realise you could use tails that long. I will be boxing the cables in and they will be above head height, so shouldn't get damaged.

I will have a measure up tomorrow, to see how long it is.

As Andy says, do not forget that you will have to find a way to join, extend, or re-route all of the cables for every circuit that connects in to the consumer unit. DIN terminals on a suitable rail inside a large box might be a solution. Something like this http://www.cle-electrical.co.uk/c/142/din-rail-terminals

It needs care, planning and proper testing afterwards.

The supply tails are the easy bit - how do you plan to disconnect the supply, by the way?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, its a full rewire, so all new cables will be run in.

I will ask my electric provider to fit a new meter, as the one in is really old and makes a buzzing noise, so they can connect the new tails up then.

I will be getting the installation fully inspected and tested.

They wont connect the tails up. That is for your registered electrtician to do as a last part of the rewire and replacement of the consumer unit.

I will be getting the installation fully inspected and tested.

Are you planning to do this all yourself? Are you aware of the legal requirements re notification and lodging a Building Notice with your LABC? Registered electricians can only certify and notify work that they have DESIGNED INSTALLED and TESTED themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back