moving house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are any of you guys knowldgeable about the house moving process ive just spoken to my solicitor who is acting for me in the purchase and sale of my house. and id asked if there was anyway to get access to the new house earlier than the sale of mine. and he suggested and undertaking of the keys written in too the contract. how does that work exactly solictor baffled me with complexities.

Sponsored Links
I think you are about to discover that the only thing solicitors make clear to their "clients" is their bill !!!

basically he would appear to be saying "yes" but as you have to pay for his time, why use a short word when a big long sentaance will surfice.

incidentaly can any one tell me why "Abbreviation" is such a long word :evil:

Sponsored Links
so anyway back to the question :D how does an undertaking for the keys earlier written into the contract actually work

I can't answer that,but I will say please change your yale lock barrel on your front door which is quite cheap to do instead of replacing the whole lock.You don't how many people got the same keys.

Totally agree masona, I brought new cylinder barrel and when I move ( which is a lot), take it with me, you never know what thieving toe rags have lived there before

I've got a law degree... hopefully can help you out here.

When you move, there's a point called 'exchange of contracts'. This is basically when you pay your deposit and sign up to the fact that you've agreed price etc and you're happy with everything. Either side pulls out, they can be sued for breaching the contracts. BUT the house isn't technically your property yet. That comes when you 'complete' ie the house is registered in your name, and the full amount changes hands.

The seller may give you permission to enter and I suppose to do certain things... are you looking to boot the seller out and use the property exclusively as yours before you've actually completed (ie handed over all your dosh)?
If so what will happen is that you will get a 'licence to occupy' for the time you want to be in, prior to the completion of the sale/purchase (usually sale and purchase happen on the same day). You could get in before the purchase actually goes through but the seller isn't obliged to agree, and your solicitor should definitely have something in writing from them. If it's more than a few hours the seller may well want to charge you (and they should do because otherwise there isn't a binding legal licence). It's a complex area of law but basically the seller is agreeing you can go in, under the same mechanism as for a short-tem let of their property to you.

Most solicitors recommend to sellers that they don't do this.

Am I babbling, or is this making any sense at all? It's sort of difficult without more info...

Yes,you do make sense ! Pity the solicitor/lawyer don't take noticed what you're saying!!! Then again the world owe them a living,sadly!

breezer said:
incidentaly can any one tell me why "Abbreviation" is such a long word :evil:

:LOL: Nice 1 Breezer, perhaps you can tell me why dislexia is so hard to spell? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back