Moving internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to move this non-load bearing wall over to the right (expanding the 'hallway' width) and extend it out a bit further (while reducing its width). I'm pretty sure it's not load-bearing. It's hollow. The joists above run parallel to it. It does however have two light switches (one either side) and a radiator attached to it. It's unusually wide (141cm). How straightforward a job is this and who would be best to contact? Ta

IMG_9310.jpg

Sponsored Links
Radiator will be the main issue, the pipes are unlikely to run into the lounge so will need extending/reworking and will probably have to run under the sole plate of the new wall.

The rest is fairly straightforward, most builders should be able to manage it but you may have an issue finding anyone to do it for a sensible price as it's a fairly small job.

Radiator will be the main issue, the pipes are unlikely to run into the lounge so will need extending/reworking and will probably have to run under the sole plate of the new wall.

The rest is fairly straightforward, most builders should be able to manage it but you may have an issue finding anyone to do it for a sensible price as it's a fairly small job.
thanks for the response. We want to replace the floors as well so hopefully if we do that at the same time it will make moving the pipes less troublesome.

Would you say this is a job for one person or several?

Sponsored Links
The contractor will decide how many people. They may use multiple because each may have different skills. Ground floor means the subfloor is concrete?

If its a stud wall built out of the old type 4x2 that could be 102mm, plus 25mm for two pieces of plaster board, by the time its had a skim coat you wouldn’t be far off 141mm ish.

Would you say this is a job for one person or several?
If one person has the skills to do all the work types, it's one person job. Else it's a job for the number of people who have the skill.

It won't matter to you though, what you pay will be the same, and the time it takes won't be much different either, as the work type is sequential.

The job is straightforward.

The contractor will decide how many people. They may use multiple because each may have different skills. Ground floor means the subfloor is concrete?
subfloor is actually plywood, with felt then laminate on top

If its a stud wall built out of the old type 4x2 that could be 102mm, plus 25mm for two pieces of plaster board, by the time its had a skim coat you wouldn’t be far off 141mm ish.
sorry i got the measurement wrong in original post, it's actually about 180mm. i want to replicate what we have in the kitchen:
IMG_9421.jpg

How are your DIY skills? That's a nice little project. Depending on what you can afford to lose from the lounge you could incorporate a nice alcove or cupboard for coats and shoes, and pocket the radiator in on the other side.

How are your DIY skills? That's a nice little project. Depending on what you can afford to lose from the lounge you could incorporate a nice alcove or cupboard for coats and shoes, and pocket the radiator in on the other side.
not terrible but the wall has a light switch on either side of it and a radiator attached to it so i don't feel super confident tackling it myself!

Only one way to learn, radiator shouldn't cause you too much drama, close both valves, undo one end on the radiator side and drain into a bucket.

With rad drained, remove it from wall and store for later get a couple of caps that screw onto the threaded parts of the rads valves to prevent any accidents.

Light switches, chase the cables out with a bolster chisel and hammer so they are free from the wall, switch electric off, remove faceplate, take a photo of wiring positions then remove and refit wiring into 2 pattress boxes, refit switch plates and screw to pattress boxes, light wiring will then be safe left hanging in the short term.

Remove old wall, decide on position for new wall then work out how to adapt the wiring and pipework to mount on it.

Build wall and refit everything, job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back