Moving Light Pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Recently moved a partition wall and I need to move one of the light pendants by around two meters. Under the rose there is;

5 T&E:

3 neutral going into rose
1 Live going into rose

3 red wires connected together & 1 red and black connected together.

Could I run 3 neutrals and 1 live from this position to the new one ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, perhaps. That's all you need to make that light work by the sounds of it, plus earth.

But how would you wire it all to get that arrangement?

A typical way to do this would be to fit a 6 terminal junction box just above where the rose is now, and run one t+e cable to the new rose.

The junction box would need to be accessible though.

Alternatively extend each cable that is too short, and bring 5 cables to the new position and connect as before.

Unfortunetly I cant get access to complety replace the cables. I was hoping to join the wires in arrangement in a dry lining box in the ceiling for access. Would it be fine to use a terminal block ? what sort of junction box where you thinking of ?

Sponsored Links
A dry lining box with a blanking plate with some 5 or 15 amp connector block would be fine, though a bit unsightly. You'd only need one live, one neutral and one earth to the light.

A round 20 amp 6 terminal junction box would accomodate the four sets of wires you have mentioned, plus earths, leaving a spare terminal. These junction boxes are used in loft spaces, where appearance is not important. If there is no loft space it may be a problem hiding the junction box, because it needs to accessible for inspection.

Its a downstairs room so access isn't availible. I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the dry lining box. With a brushed steel flat blanking plate. So I could just run a single neutral and live and earth obviously ? Its 1mm and I have lots of 1.5 but I guess it's best to keep it the same ?

Providing all the old existing cables will go to the dry line box, then only one twin and earth cable will need to go from here to the new light position.

Shouldn't be a problem using 1.5 mm instead of 1.0 mm.

You could fit a 5 amp round pin socket instead of a blanking plate if it's likely to come in handy for supplying something like a table lamp, assuming it's not a bathroom or similar.

If you use a metal faceplate as you have mentioned make sure it's earthed.

the round pin socket is a good idea but its directly above a door. Thanks for your help bud I appreciate it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back