Moving my BT box - photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We need our BT box moving, from where it enters the house above our front door...
View media item 12668
...to our front room downstairs. The second pic shows where the cable runs into the house now, and where we'd like it to go (continuing straight down). I know I shouldn't really move it myself, but it seems an expensive call-out for a simple job, especially when the existing cable won't need extending.
View media item 12667
My question is, are there any problems with the proposed route crossing our mains electricity supply outside (in terms of line interference)? I ask, cos the existing route seems to take a route to avoid it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Edit: err, might just have found the answer to that... I need to leave 50mm between phone cables and electric cables?

Sponsored Links
You can cross a mains cable but when it’s running parallel with it you can get problems if it’s too close.

If it was me, I would not touch it! That belongs to bt. At a guess I don't think a bt engineer would cross the incoming mains supply.

i`d move it, you`d be o.k,make sure you put a drip loop at the bottom and seal the hole where it enters the house,as long as you leave the dropwire clamp alone at the top of the house b.t will never know,or care.As for crossing the electric cable its only 240v and insulated and unlikely to cause any problems to your bb.From one that knows,when a internal line is run around a industrial unit or office/shop etc its impossible not to cross a electrical cable.( I SEE YOU HAVE OR HAVE HAD TWO LINES INTO THE HOUSE O/W LINE 1 G/B LINE 2)

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, two lines - one home phone and one for business phone/broadband.

rather than move the existing box, wouldit not be easier to take two extensions from the main box to where you need them.
you could go in different directions with the extension wiring if needs be

You're dead right, that would be much easier, but the master box looks a bit of an ar5e stuck there over the door (the previous owner had some kind of 'exchange' up there), so we'd like to move the box - and a single socket that powered the exchange - whilst the house is in turmoil (a renovation).

You're dead right, that would be much easier, but the master box looks a bit of an a**e stuck there over the door (the previous owner had some kind of 'exchange' up there), so we'd like to move the box - and a single socket that powered the exchange - whilst the house is in turmoil (a renovation).

if you are renovating the house i would move the cable as suggested and fit two new style sockets where the cable enters the house and from them i would take extensions to every room.
fitting new style sockets makes the extension wiring easier and the broadband ext socket if req can be filtered at the first socket with one of these

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:...t&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNG98aeIsy6t3AewJ8cYMZM0Tb9yEA

to enable you to do away with the microfilters(if you have them )

i have one of these adsl faceplates and can recommend it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back