Moving purlin by 2 feet

@ indus yes.

@ the OP, really in theory you could probably do as you wish and provided your prop things correctly and do it all in the right order (not to mention getting some humongous chunks of timber into your loft (on your own presumably) and then manhandling them into position) however this isn't really something you should be just having a bash at as you've got a bit of time off. Your attitude (no offence honestly) and lack of respect for what you are proposing to do has probably deterred others from posting/helping.

Sponsored Links
@ indus yes.

@ the OP, really in theory you could probably do as you wish and provided your prop things correctly and do it all in the right order (not to mention getting some humongous chunks of timber into your loft (on your own presumably) and then manhandling them into position) however this isn't really something you should be just having a bash at as you've got a bit of time off. Your attitude (no offence honestly) and lack of respect for what you are proposing to do has probably deterred others from posting/helping.

Really didn't mean to be flippant. Thanks for your reply but a bit late.... I took the comments on board and fitted two purlins. I'm sorry if I came across blaze but some of the suggestions were almost scaremongering.
[GALLERY=media, 49424][/GALLERY]
Yes I needed a friends help to bring the wood in through the window, rest done by myself so far. I will board it then hand over to a plasterer.
[GALLERY=media, 49421][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 49420][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 49422][/GALLERY]

Oh, things I forgot to say.
Original span - purlin to wall plate was 194cm and a bit more to purlin in loft.
New span between new purlins - 196cm with over 180cm headroom under new middle purlin. Distance choose itself (partly) by looking at which bricks to remove

Things I'd do differently (next time!)
Fit the insulation BEFORE the new purlins!!
Move the books before cutting the wardrobe in half!! Lost two books... daughter is not happy!

Will let the brickwork cure for a day or so now before removing the old purlin. Will continue the insulation and tidy up on Thursday. On a course tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back