Moving radiator....Pipe mess - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
<update> I have received responses - many thanks for peoples help so am updating this thread to not waste anyone elses time. Thanks

I have removed an old radiator from my bedroom and am replacing with a new double convector.
Having lifted the floor boards, I have seen a bit of a plumbing mess and am wondering on your thoughts of the best thing to do.

I was hoping to use the old radiator pipes and to run plastic JC Speedfit push fittings, under the floor board to the position of the new smaller radiator pipes - then come up through the floor boards with copper pipe.

You can see a photo of the pipes in the following link - What doesn’t show well is that some of the pipes are positioned very very close to the floorboards.

<Photo removed>

Having seen this pipework mess, I was planning on putting a push fit stop end a few inches from the T junction of where the old radiator pipe came out. - and then adding a new plastic push fit T junction for the new radiator shown at the position where the spanner is placed.
However, I am concerned that as the push fit end stop is bigger than a piece of copper, that this will press against the floorboard and cause potential problems when we walk on the floor board.
Would it be silly to put a push fit end stop so close to the floorboards?

Another solution (suggested by a work colleague) - would be for me to get a blow torch and reheat some of the existing joints to remove the messy part of the old pipework. I would then basically have (running from left to right) : the old copper pipework, some plastic pipe, a T junction for the pipe coming towards the camera, some plastic pipe, a T junction to new rad where spanner is, then connect to the old copper pipe.
(My concern over this is that I have never used a blowtorch , whilst I think I could do it, I know that I would need to ensure that all joints are very clean and solder free before using push fit joints.)

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If you're inexperienced with blowtorches and are proposing to work under the floor do be careful, it would be so easy to set fire to scrap bits of wood that may be lying about. Seriously, keep a bucket of water handy, and do some practice first !

yeah - i think thats my main concern with using a blowtorch - hence why I was wanting to see if there were any tidy JC speedfit options

Sponsored Links
ok - thats good to know.
Any ideas on what I can do to move the existing radiator feed pipe to where the spanner is?
Would a JC Speedfit end stop on that pipe and then a new Speedfit T jucntion to the new rad be sufficient?

to be honest i would drain down fit new rad and then call someone in to pipe up souldnt take more than an hour if you drain and refill.

thanks for the help Eaton.
If you've got an hour or so spare , i'm based in Cambridge ;)

might be able to fit you in next week if not there are a couple of lads actually in cambridge on here, im in st.neots

Does not look like a mess to me. I would like to see the modern plumber to pull bends like ones shown in the picture. I am not a fan of the plastic pipe.

Take it your new rad is the same output as one you are replacing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back