Moving rain water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be building the foundations for a conservatory soon, last night I was digging a hole to see how deep the house footings are and I discovered that the gutter down pipe went into a 110mm pipe which is about 400mm down from ground level and virtually touching the wall across the width of my property.

Is it permissable to run the house downpipe into the conservatory guttering which would then drain into a new downpipe on the opposite side? This would allow me to cut back the underground pipe to link up with the new downpipe so that it would not get in the way of my conservatory foundations.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't you just move the house guttering downpipe to t'other end as well ?? Okay you'll have to readjust the run off on the house but after the downpours we've had the last couple of days it might be a tad too much for the conservatory guttering to cope with the house downfall as well.

I did have that thought about moving the downpipe but the guttering runs along the back of my neighbours house (semi) as well with the pipe in the middle of the two, so the whole lot would need to be moved to get the required fall.

We live in an end of (four) terraced houses, estate agent would call it a semi but it aint ! We having bought this ex l.a. house take the rain off the two middle (still l.a.) houses.
When the heavy rains came last year and broke the end cap off and soaked the house wall for two days,the l.a. wasn't interested ("private house now mate").
So now my private house looks after my private rainfall, moved up the gutter bracket so the other end house takes the rain from 3 instead of us, fixed the other end within a week the bastards !!
(The two middle houses are the larger, have drains front n back but no downpipes, oh and l.a. is local authority

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have the same issue as the original poster, whereby my conservatory fitter from a long time ago left the roof downpipe running straight into the ground on the other side of the conservatory! I have only just noticed this now when changing fence panels and am pretty furious! Im glad i noticed it now though!
Can i simply channel the roof downpipe into the Conservatory guttering, which then runs to proper drainage on the other side of the conservatory?
I was thinking of changing the roof downpipe location, but it is impossible to get to the original downpipe location now as the conservatory is in the way!
We are going to sell soon too, so was also wondering if this would show up on a survey as a problem?
Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Hi,
I have the same issue as the original poster, whereby my conservatory fitter from a long time ago left the roof downpipe running straight into the ground on the other side of the conservatory! I have only just noticed this now when changing fence panels and am pretty furious! Im glad i noticed it now though!
Can i simply channel the roof downpipe into the Conservatory guttering, which then runs to proper drainage on the other side of the conservatory?
I was thinking of changing the roof downpipe location, but it is impossible to get to the original downpipe location now as the conservatory is in the way!
We are going to sell soon too, so was also wondering if this would show up on a survey as a problem?
Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
why dont u cut the pipe and make a longer extention and feed it between the fence and the conservatory

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.
If i cut the pipe where can i feed it to??
The Conservatory is about a foot away from the fence (which is a neighbours fence) and there is no rainwater drain on that side anymore. The conservatory guttering goes to the rainwater drain on the other side of the house, so am aiming to try and get the rainwater going into there. The easy way is to let it drop into the conservatory guttering, but am not sure whether this would be acceptable. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back