Moving sockets because walls getting plastered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am getting my kitchen dot and dabbed then plastered i want to know what i do with my sockets.i want to keep them in the same place but they will have to be moved forward abit and how will i find them when it has been dot and dabbed.
thanks

Sponsored Links
take some very careful measurements before it gets dot and dabbed of the centre of each socket . then drill a hole through and widen with a padsaw or something similar . you can get new back boxes specifically for plasterboard that will solve you depth problems .

woowoospanner said:
take some very careful measurements before it gets dot and dabbed of the centre of each socket . then drill a hole through and widen with a padsaw or something similar . you can get new back boxes specifically for plasterboard that will solve you depth problems .
this might sound silly but where to you take the measurements from

A Datum ;) like a corner or a window ..allowing for the new thickness of the p/board.....and from the floor/ceiling.......just use long screws for the sockets afterwards

Sponsored Links
if its your kitchen i would work out where your new appliances are going and put them in place, also where you microwave,kettle,toaster and so on goes. Have you decided on what tiles your using? ie 6*6 either 6 or 12 inches from the top of your worktop this will save a lot of broken tiles ;) Normal back boxes for sockets are sound to fix to the wall and dab around you may need a bigger one for your cooker but just chace this into the wall. Have you thought about lighting :LOL:

jbonding said:
if its your kitchen i would work out where your new appliances are going and put them in place, also where you microwave,kettle,toaster and so on goes.

Just a warning that before you go adding new sockets etc. The kitchen is a notifiable area for new electrical work. Your allowed to maintain & repair but not add new or extend; you will either have to get new work inspected by BC & then tested by a Part P registered electrician or use one for the work in the first place.

Richard C said:
jbonding said:
if its your kitchen i would work out where your new appliances are going and put them in place, also where you microwave,kettle,toaster and so on goes.

Just a warning that before you go adding new sockets etc. The kitchen is a notifiable area for new electrical work. Your allowed to maintain & repair but not add new or extend; you will either have to get new work inspected by BC & then tested by a Part P registered electrician or use one for the work in the first place.
yes but surely 2 new sockets isnt gonna do any harm

philipcooper said:
yes but surely 2 new sockets isnt gonna do any harm

It doesn't matter whether or not it will "do any harm". Part P is the law, like it or not.

Anyway, as the last post was a week ago the job is probably done by now. ;)

Not speeding is a law too but everyone does it. Part P is totally ignored where I live.

joe

Phil
It is a pain but as the law stands any new work in a notifyable area has to be installed by a part P spark or inspected by BC & then tested by a part P spark. Unlike speeding, it's a criminal offence & not just some by-law the council have dreamed up. You could ignore it as suggested but I think that's very bad advice & you may also have trouble when you come to sell, especially when the new sales pack eventually comes into being. Most importantly you will invalidate your insurance & if you have a kitchen fire or other accident that can be traced back to the work, your insurance company may refuse to pay up & you could end up in court to boot! Surveyors ain't stupid & it's not worth the risk!

Surveyors won't remove a socket to check the wiring (they are not qualified anyway) - and no-one will ever know who did the wiring anyway.

joe

joe-90 said:
Surveyors won't remove a socket to check the wiring (they are not qualified anyway) - and no-one will ever know who did the wiring anyway.

joe
No, but anyone with half a brain can tell new work from old, ask when it was done & require you to produce the relevant certification! If you cant or the surveyor is in any doubt, he will advise the solicitor accordingly, the Bank wont advance the buyers money until an independant inspection has been done & thats probably the end of that particular sale! A similar thing has been happening with oil storage tank installations in my area. New OFTEC legistlation was introduced in 2002 and now the regiseterd guys are having a field day charging very nice fees for retrospective inspection, corrective work & certification in order that owners can sell their property!

With the amount of work I'm doing on my current property, I've gone into things pretty thoroughly about what I can & can't do myself; believe me it's in the process of being tied down pretty tight right now; unlike last time I did a renovation 30 years ago! Weather we like it or not, the way things are going it wont be too long before true DIY build/renovation is a thing of the past; & do you really want to run the risk of being uninsured if the house burns down & loose everything for the sake of a 60 quid inspection!

It's not the function of the forum to spout Part P to every post.

Just tell the guy what to do and let him make up his own mind whether or not to do it.

As a matter of interest, how many people have been prosecuted under Part P legislation? I've not heard of one nationwide.

joe

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/media/press+releases/2006/Council/Building+control+prosecution.htm

I agree it is not the purpose of this forum to spout part P to every post. However for people to make an informed decision on whether to ignore it or not, they need to be aware of it's existence and know something about the implications of it in the first place. Many posters here have never even heard of it (which is a totally different tin'o'worms ;) ). People's personal opinions on how far the law has to be broken before it will 'do any harm' are hardly likely to help understanding of the fiasco that is Part P... :D

yes but if i come to sell the house they are not gonna check every socket are they and will they know who done the work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back