Moving sockets up wall, but exsisting cable not long enough!

PS: I also have found since doing the kitchen, the earth going outside to our gas metre is not connected, just pushed up into the meter box, can I do this myself, am I in grave danger? There is an earth at the bath and kitchen sink pipes (which I have just moved).

Sponsored Links
D.I.Why? said:
Bright_Spark said:
Unfortunately for the customer the cost of having a sparky is high because there isnt enough of us to go round. I can see where your coming from with not wanting to pay over the odds but we're in short supply, even shorter since part P came about.

So your in short supply...so your rushed off your feet and have more work than hours in the day. What's your point? Why on earth would the reduction in available electricians warrant a cost increase to the customer?
I'll tell you why...because by your own part admission the truth is, there ARE so few electricians, and to a man they must have thought all their birthdays had come at once when part P came about. (Your probably smiling quite a bit round about now) Because now we HAVE to use an electrician so you can charge whatever you want, in fact double your fees, what the hell...triple them! You won't lose a single punter. (This is the bit where your laughing out loud).

Have no fear, I will get the work done by someone who knows what they're doing, no more, no less. NICEIC...I doubt it.
Thanks for the advice fireman22, trust a smokey to put it plain and simple, I don't know why I didn't just ask the lads at work in the first place!!!

Bright_Spark said:
if you feel belittled or anything by any comments, please dont
See what I mean, honestly, give yourself a shake...belittled!?!...everyone has a field of expertise...your an electrician for gods sake. If your driven by a will to keep people safe walk a mile in my shoes mate!

suit yourself. if you dont want to thing properly and safely then thats upto you. we're electricians because we choose to be. i'm sure you have a very good career of your own - i dont doubt that one bit. but we all had a choice in life and we chose to be electricians....and all this about Part P - we didnt all get together at a 'sparky convention' and decide how we can rip people off, the introduction of part p had its reasons.

like every service, you have to pay for it.

personally, if i wasnt in this trade, for my piece of mind id pay for it doing properly. it might cost me over the odds but if you could offer something that not many other people could, would you settle for the minimum or would you try and earn a bit more to provide for your family?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back