Moving the main telephone point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to re-position my main phone point.

I've taken the cover off and there is just two wires (solid cable, about 1mm).

Is it as easy as disconnecting them and extending them with some bell wire and a juntion box, or is it a BT only job?

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
If there's only 2 wires it's not the main socket it's a slave one.

the main socket should have at least 4 connected but 6 cores in the cable.

RICelectric said:
If there's only 2 wires it's not eh main socket it's a slave one.

the main socket should have at least 4 connected but 6 cores in the cable.
This is complete nonsense. TWO wires means its a master socket.

I dont know where you got the rest from.

Mark, by all means do it yourself, but do it right, because its BT's property. They will charge you £100+ to move it.

This means do not extend them with bell wire. You need BT spec phone cable.

Sponsored Links
CW1308 cable, and typically 3 pair. You only need worry about using one pair of this cable and the other two pairs are coiled neatly in the back box for possible future use.

RIC - You are very miss-informed.

There is a SINGLE pair (2 cores) from the exchange to your home (master socket), and then this single pair travels around your home on 2/5 to provide the line. Terminal 3 is also required from the master socket to every secondary (not slave!) point. This provides the ring current for the bell/tweet tweet in the phones on secondary points.

2/5 must always be a 'pair' - these are denoted by the colour markings - blue/white and white/blue for example. The pairs are gently twisted together through the entire run, and as such, any interfence generated in one leg is cancelled out by the other leg as the two legs are not in 'phase' with each other.

When using multi-pair cable, the blues are always pair 1, oranges pair 2, greens pair 3, browns pair 4, greys pair 5 - after this the 'base colour' alters from white to red, and the sequece of bl, or, gr, br, gr starts again. For more than 10 pairs, the base colour is then black and then yellow (upto 20 pair).

I'd say the best bet (if possible) would be to leave the master socket where it is, and run an extension socket from the IDC terminals 2, 3 and 5 behind the front cover as Lectrician has said.

You would not be altering the BT wiring, and you would need a box of some description to join the cables in anyway.

There are all sorts of telephone extension socket kits, including cable, of varying quality available in high street stores. Just about all of them would be acceptable. Personally, I would avoid the ones that plug into the master socket in place of the phone, but perhaps that's just me.

There's no need to have a telephone plugged into the master socket.

Thanks you all for your posts - especically lectrician who seems to know his onions!

I want to move it rather than extend from it because it's an eyesore in a really daft position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back