multiple accounts no privacy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 4 different users on our vista home PC, whenever they download something I get it too, I don't want their stuff, but when I delete it off my account they lose it too (my account is only a user account) how can I section off each of our accounts so we can't affect each other....all help gratefully received

Sponsored Links
It sounds like they need to change the path of the download. Everything that is downloaded must be getting sent to your Documents or whatever. When someone else downloads they need to change the path of the download to their Documents folder ( or whatever ) For example if you download something you would download it to your Documents folder something like this : C:\Documents and Settings\DIYedboy\My Documents
If they want to download it to their folders it needs to be altered manually or they can hit the BROWSE button and choose where to send it so it may read like this : C:\Documents and Settings\A.N.Other\My Documents.
This is only a basic assumption of what is happening but it sounds likely.[/u]

Dazb Can we alter our download paths so, after alteration they will always download to that one person only, or will we have to change the path each time we want to download?

As default your path would be to your own accounts 'Documents'.
And as default your 'Documents' is not shared with other users on the pc, so that's probably not what is happening. Uless you've actually setup up 'sharing' in your network connections.

Are you specifically talking about 'downloading' stuff from the internet or actually 'installing' software?
My kids refer to the installation of software as 'downloading'. Are you doing the same?
If so, then once software is installed its available to everyone, unless you specify otherwise. You can use policies to do this (unless you have Vista Home Premium).
But to be honest the ideal scenario would be to:
have 4 'standard' user accounts, all password protected, which cannot install software.
1 x Adminsitrator account to do ALL the software installs.

Any of this make sense......i often don't this early in the morning! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Nice one Kjacko, all our accounts are administrator ones,( yes, the kids are installing game software) I'm gonna open me another account as just a user, then do what you suggest

Yeah, but you need to make ALL existing accounts into 'standard' ones, not administrator ones..... Just keep your own as as admin one if you like.
That way only YOU as ADMIN can install software and they have to ask you, which means you can vet what they are doing. Its suprising what kids or users for that matter, with next to no pc common sense will download and install if left to their own devices.
They'll think you're a nazi for doing so, but if you paid for the pc, don't let them bum it up for you.

Nightmare..................I managed to mess that up! so I have tried to go back a few days and' restore ', trouble is, the restore keeps failing. I have tried different dates and it don't make any difference, how can I get the restore action to work (I'm using Norton security)?

Brilliant, thanks Dave........................ain't life just waaaaay too complicated

Sponsored Links
Back