Multiples wires into a single plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when I was young I had multiple mains things and not enough sockets. At the time (early nineties) my mother found a product that allowed multiple appliances to be connected to one socket. The details are a bit hazy, but I think it had the following characteristics:

There was a plug head that went in the wall, it was compact (not much bigger than a travel adaptor)and it provided 4 downwards pointing sockets, two on each side of the adaptor

You had to remove the type g plug from the appliance and fit one that came with the device, I think the new ones were kettle lead style or figure 8 style, but with a plastic tab that had a finger grip so it didn't have to be removed by yanking the cord

It was from a brand I recognised at the time, no idea which one though

Any ideas what I'm talking about?

Ps, it wasn't one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTIWAY-MAINS-PLUG-FOR-DIY-4-WAY-/252450253686 but it was a similar idea, except with unpluggable wires

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
When I lived in Hong Hong there were a whole host of adaptors made. But these don't seem to have reached the British market, even though many were marked with a BS number.

You seem to be describing something like this
31ALc9JFy7L.jpg
in the main the multi output kettle type extension
m_pW1qU8g8eBOujw5q7oE7Q.jpg
has some lead between the extension and the plug so the weight is not on the socket.

I am sure a walk down Apoo street in shimshammipoo in Hong Kong you will find what you want, but in UK going to be hard to find.

Hi Eric,

Definitely not one of those.. That isn't compact/travel adaptor sized, and it features type g plugs, which my device did not

On the one I am thinking of you definitely had to discard the existing plug on the appliance and wire in this new plug, like a small kettle lead, and then plug that in. 4 of them would fit into the bottom and the whole thing ended up not much bigger than the type g plug that entered the wall outlet

Like this picture below this, but instead of 4 USB on the bottom, imagine making it a bit bigger so 4 kettle leads, or 4 figure 8 plugs could go in it.. It was something like that:

image.jpg

It wasn't this, though it's kind of this idea (a modified plug and multiple plugs go into a single plug head that goes in the wall)

image.jpg

Clearly complexity of use has defeated this user, but you get the idea:
image.jpg

Oh wait, he must have worked it out after all:

image.jpg

As noted, it wasn't this: I don't even think this exists other than on a design student's dissertation, but it was like this, except the plugs were custom

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure you can buy similar sounding adapters for fish tanks, allowing you to have various connections for pumps/lights etc all working from one wall socket.

It wasn't this, though it's kind of this idea (a modified plug and multiple plugs go into a single plug head that goes in the wall)

View attachment 101667

Clearly complexity of use has defeated this user, but you get the idea:
View attachment 101668

Oh wait, he must have worked it out after all:

View attachment 101669

As noted, it wasn't this: I don't even think this exists other than on a design student's dissertation, but it was like this, except the plugs were custom

that is very clever, is it on sale or still a design study

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back