Mushrooms in lawn

I am sorry to say but this thread is full of mistakes,sorry.

Mushroom farmers use the compost only once because mushrooms require very high nutrients to grow well and so after one crop the level of nutrients drops below the level required and so it is sold off as mushroom compost. At this stage it still has a good nutrient content and so is ideal for vegetable growing. Mushroom compost is largely horse manure, to which a special compost is added (cast) which contains spores of the choosen mushroom.

Mushroom rings that are seen in lawns are the fruiting bodies of a fungus and are mearly a very small part of the whole fungus which is made up of small thread like structures in the soil below. They do not specifically require decaying wood to grow, any decaying matter will do. They start from one point and grow outwards and this is why you end up with a circle of mushrooms.

There is no way to get rid of this fungus which is growing below the lawn, you can only wait for it to go. It is good practice to remove the mushrooms as they appear to prevent spores spreading over the lawn which may form another fungal growth.

The best advice is to improve the surface of your lawn to discourage the growth of the fungus near the surface and so decrease the mushroom. If it has a lot of moss and the grass is in a shady area then the top part of the soil under the lawn will be relatively damp and so ideal for fungal growth. Get rid of the moss and try and improve the amount of light which gets to the grass. Also if you do not feed the grass regularly then give it a feed every 6-8 weeks, this will make the grass grow more strongly and therefore remove more water from the ground, reducing the mositure available to the fungus.

Also if you can, always take the clippings of the grass and so not allow them to remain on the grass, the same is true of leaves etc. If you can manage use a scarifier to remove dead material from the lawn. This will all reduce the organic matter present. No need to start ripping up the lawn and removing the soil, it will have no effect.

I hope this helps.
Andrew

Sponsored Links
if its full of mistakes why have you virtually repeated the information everyone else has given in a different format?

Must say, can not see how you can say I have repeated what was said, some differences are subtle maybe, but 'the devil is in the detail'

Reading through the tread the poor guy could have been chasing his tail and breaking his back.

If you want some background info in how a fungus works and fairy rings, take a look at

http://www.offwell.free-online.co.uk/fungi/struct.htm

I would like to point out that I have formal qualifications in Horticulture to degree level and so I do have some knowledge in these areas.

Mushroom farmers use the compost only once because mushrooms require very high nutrients to grow well and so after one crop the level of nutrients drops below the level required and so it is sold off as mushroom compost. At this stage it still has a good nutrient content and so is ideal for vegetable growing. Mushroom compost is largely horse manure, to which a special compost is added (cast) which contains spores of the chosen mushroom.

:!:
Other people said that the soil was poisonous to any further growth of mushrooms, not true, you could grow another crop of mushrooms in the mushroom compost. The growers use new to get a better crop for the area which is planted.

Mushroom rings that are seen in lawns are the fruiting bodies of a fungus and are merely a very small part of the whole fungus which is made up of small thread like structures in the soil below. They do not specifically require decaying wood to grow, any decaying matter will do. They start from one point and grow outwards and this is why you end up with a circle of mushrooms.

Fairy rings are not created from spores being distributed from a single mushroom in a circular fashion as some have said. The rings come from one spore which germinates and creates the fungus which grows out from that point in all directions seeking out nutrients. This is why you get a ring because the bit inside the ring does not have sufficient nutrient for the fungus to grown and so the mushrooms appear at the outer edge of the fungus growth.

There is no way to get rid of this fungus which is growing below the lawn, you can only wait for it to go. It is good practice to remove the mushrooms as they appear to prevent spores spreading over the lawn which may form another fungal growth.

Just pointing out the best practice, to pull it out from the other info.

The best advice is to improve the surface of your lawn to discourage the growth of the fungus near the surface and so decrease the mushroom. If it has a lot of moss and the grass is in a shady area then the top part of the soil under the lawn will be relatively damp and so ideal for fungal growth. Get rid of the moss and try and improve the amount of light which gets to the grass. Also if you do not feed the grass regularly then give it a feed every 6-8 weeks, this will make the grass grow more strongly and therefore remove more water from the ground, reducing the moisture available to the fungus.

Some people were suggesting ripping up the lawn and removing the fungus's food source, just wanted to save the guy from unnecessary work.

Also if you can, always take the clippings of the grass and so not allow them to remain on the grass, the same is true of leaves etc. If you can manage use a scarifier to remove dead material from the lawn. This will all reduce the organic matter present. No need to start ripping up the lawn and removing the soil, it will have no effect.

I hope this helps.
Andrew

Mark, how you getting on with the lawn, i have the same thing going on...

Cheers

Can anyone advise of the best way to get rid of mushrooms I have appearing in the lawn. They seem to be spreading all over the place.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Mark, how you getting on with the lawn, i have the same thing going on...

I doubt you will get a reply.
MarkF started this post 4 years ago he stopped posting over 2 years ago

do be a good forum member and read the forum rules, you have hi-jacked a post

My first wife died of eating poisonous mushrooms.

My second wife died of eating poisonous mushrooms.

My third wife died of stab wounds. She wouldn't eat the mushrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back