My boiler's packed up! Now what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it's desperate post from a newbie time, and a very naive one at that who knows as much about boilers as he does about the mating habits of wombats!

Last night when I got in I put the water on so I could have a bath, yet when I came to run the bath an hour later, the water was still cold.

Further examination revealed that the heating wasn't working either, so it seems that either the boiler or the timer that controls it has packed up - unfortunately I don;t know which. The timer is all lit up as normal, and the red light comes on when I put the water on, but there's no satisfying "whoosh!" sound from the gas igniting itself.

At first I thought the gas supply to my house had gone off, but I've checked my gas cooker and gas fire and they still work fine. However, there have been workmen on my road this past couple of days digging up and relaying pipes - it sounds bizarre but is there a possibility they could have accidentally cut off the gas supply to my boiler but not to the fire and cooker?

I suppose the next step is to get someone out to have a look at it, but as I know this can be expensive I thought I'd ask advice on here first. If anyone's been in a similar position please let me know. I'm just passing through today but I'll be back Monday morning to look at any replies.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried relighting the pilot light?

If you own the properly you seem to know very little about it!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back