My dangerous and bodged electrics!

The rational explanation is that it's supplying Class II equipment via a Class II wiring system and the user cannot replace the equipment with Class I as it's all hard wired.
Unless you know something I don't, I'm not sure where at least one of those final circuits goes. However, assuming you're right in relation to the B10 circuit, I'm still not sure how that gets around the requirement for a CPC to be run to 'each point' in an installation (even if what is hard wired doesn't need a CPC).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There was no CPC for the B10 circuit, I simply wired the class 2 doubel insulated 2Kw fan heater directly into the B10 MCB with the sunvic thermostat wired in-between the MCB and the fan heater.

There was no CPC for the B10 circuit, I simply wired the class 2 doubel insulated 2Kw fan heater directly into the B10 MCB with the sunvic thermostat wired in-between the MCB and the fan heater.
Fair enough. I suppose that, in electrical terms, that's probably reasonable enough (provided the stat didn't need an earth). I also suppose that one could try arguing that the cable beyond the stat is not 'part of the installation' (hence didn't need a CPC) - since there wouldn't be a requirement for a CPC in that cable if there were a plug on the end of it. However, I still reckon that, strictly speaking, there is (and probably was then) a requirement to run a CPC at least as far as the hard-wired stat.

Returning to the overall picture, although what you did was pretty odd, I would agree with others that it was not particularly unreasonable or dangerous - beyond, perhaps, the question of where it (that socket) is getting its power from!

Kind Regards, John

Also I was using MK branded MCB's in a Contactum CU, which is going against the manufactures instructions and guarantee terms, and thus against the regs for not following the manufactures instructions.

Sponsored Links
Also I was using MK branded MCB's in a Contactum CU, which is going against the manufactures instructions and guarantee terms, and thus against the regs for not following the manufactures instructions.
Provided they were mechanically satisfactory for the CU (i.e. fitted and secured OK and didn't leave anything exposed which shouldn't be), I would find it difficult to lose sleep over that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back