My decking treatment has all flaked off....Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All :D

I built myself a rather large deck last year to level my garden off. I really did put a great deal of thought into how to treat it and came to the conclusion ( wrongly ) that as Sadolin make such fine products than the new decking stain range would be the way to go!

I realise now ( too late ) that i should have used an oil. I have looked at loads of decks this spring and the only ones which seemed to survive regardless of the brand are the ones which were oiled.

As it had flaked off so badly over the winter i just had to jet wash it, i realise that that is not really advised but other than sanding it for the next 5 years i felt it was the way to get the loose stuff off.

I am now left with a bit of a mess and not really sure what to do???

As the picture shows some parts are still completely stained and some is bare wood. Most of it is somewhere between. Im pretty sure that if i simply put more stain on it, it will always show the different layers and be kinda patchy ( not to mention that it will look the same next year ) It would take forever to sand it back to bare wood, so...................what the hell do i do with it? :confused:

Eh not sure how you see the photo but here is the link to it :oops:

//www.diynot.com/network/fergzx9r/albums/

Thanks very much :D

Sponsored Links
speak to sadolins and see what they say. i always advise my customers NEVER to apply any treatment other than oil to a deck. Not much you can do to be honest

I thought my options would be limited :(

I have sent an email as you suggested though i fear they will do nothing!

I think i will just have to replace the boards :evil: Im quite fussy about finish and think the £500 worth of new boards and a day to fit them will be cheaper than the week to rub it down :cry:

Thanks for the response, i do appreciate it,

Iain

I think i will just have to replace the boards :evil: Im quite fussy about finish and think the £500 worth of new boards and a day to fit them will be cheaper than the week to rub it down :cry:
If you do that, can I be first in the queue to take them before you take them to the tip. :D

Sponsored Links
I thought my options would be limited :(

I have sent an email as you suggested though i fear they will do nothing!

Thanks for the response, i do appreciate it,

Iain

forget trying to sand them down. ive lost count of how many good decks weve taken up and replaced for customers as theyve been ruined by crap decking stain (there is no good decking stain by the way its all crap)

Thermo - thanks very much for the info, i just wish i had found this site and read some of your posts before staining it in the first place! I spent ages trying to find info before i did it, aw well, ce la vi! Every day is a school day :confused:

htgeng - Im sure you are joking but if i do replace them you are welcome to them......if you unscrew em and take em away :D

Cheers :LOL:

htgeng - Im sure you are joking but if i do replace them you are welcome to them......if you unscrew em and take em away :D
:
meh :LOL: Its a looong road trip and 2x tanks of diesel might not be worth it, especially if they are biatch to lift. Keep us posted what you decide to do. ;)

Still no joy!

Summer is going to be over by the time i have this sorted!!

I did indeed email Sadolin several times and they now have some "flakes" from my deck. I am awaiting a response. Im pretty sure that they will come to the conclusion that i am to blame :(

HOW THE HELL CAN THESE BIG COMPANIES GET AWAY WITH THIS !!!!

They are taking the **** out of us all! It bloody fraudulent. How can you sell a product which simply cannot and will not work. To deliberatly set out to sell a product which will ruin your decking is just beyond me.

Imagine i start a company selling car polish which removes half the paint with no thought other than profit, would i get away with it???

RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT :oops:

Ahem.........

Most of the decking stains are water based and thats the problem. It sits on the surface of the wood and does not soak into it. When the wood expands and contracts with the weather it flakes off. An oil based decking stain is the only way to go. This will soak into the timber and wont come off. If it fades over time, it can always be recoated. All water based paints are the same outside, totally useless.

I too have had a very bad experience with Sadolin Decking Stain & Preserver. I followed the manufacturer's instructions when applying to new clean dry pine decking boards bought from B&Q. I had previously treated all the boards with a clear solvent based wood preserver. I gave the boards a couple of coats of Sadolin stain and the deck looked nice. However, over winter the finish deteriorated badly. About half the finish had come off. I cleaned it up and gave it another 2 coats of Sadolin. It looked nice for a while but over the next winter it deteriorated again and is now very patchy. Large amounts of stain have disappeared, perhaps 50% of the covering.

I have now built a second lower deck but I will definitely not use Sadolin Decking Stain and Preserver to protect it as it is not fit for purpose. I have previously used Sadolin products to protect house facia boards and hardwood doors and these have been satisfactory. However, the Decking Stain & Preserver is useless as it simply peels off after a short amount of time. Maybe all the other manufacturers have similar water based products that fail. However, Sadolin is the most expensive and I expected better.

After doing some online research and reading comments on this site, I will use oil on my new deck. I will also have to sand back the finish on my top deck and oil that too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back