My electric’s

Sponsored Links
doesn't look too wonderful.
Would suggest you get a visual check and a PIR report if the rest of the installation is visually poor.

Looks like there may be bonding (coming out of earth block going downwards), so it may not be as bad as it seems.

Hi kilasser,
I agree that a periodic inspection report would be your best option for peace of mind.
Hopefully your main equipotential bonding conductors are connected inside the fuseboxes, as I dont think (or can't see :eek: ) the earth bar you have has the capacity for the minimum of six conductors you may need connecting to it. (1 x incoming, 2 x fuseboxes, 1 x rcd enclosure, 1 x gas bond, 1 x water bond, ps. I'm assuming you dont have plastic gas and water pipes supplying your home ?).
Have you seen any earthing 'clamps' within @600mm of your gas meter or near your water intake ?
Have you any visible earthing clamps in the bathroom, under the sink etc ? Without taking the panel off the bath it's impossible to say whether the bonding is in place here too (if it's needed that is).
A PIR would investigate all these requirements.
What rating is your main fuse ?
What rating is the RCD, and what does it control (shower)?
Do you have any sockets downstairs that incorperate an RCD for using electrical equiptment outside (lawn mower etc), or do you intend to use a 'plug in' type RCD adapter?, as it would appear to me that you may not have the protection you need at the origin of the circuit to do so at the moment.

Even though it may appear that your system is 'out dated' , it may well be within the minimum requirements (electrical regs BS7671), and only remedial work may need to be carried out to get it up to scratch.

Having said that, I personally would get a few quotes from registered electricians and see how much extra it would cost to fit 1 x new split load consumer unit and do the testing, as opposed to just a PIR.
(the difference may suprise you), and if you are rightly concerned about the dangerous electrical situations which can, and do occur, against the amount you would pay to have your new home tested etc, the money side of it's cheap isn't it ?)

It's getting late/early now and I have got to get a few hours kip, I am not a qualified electrician, i should add, but I'm sure the 'pro's' will be along to give you thier professional advice.
Anyways, I hope this is of some help.

It is impossible to tell whether your installation is ok or not from a photograph,but what I can tell you is there is no need to replace everything just because it is a few years old & does not whistle & sing.If you have reason to be concerned other than it looks old then I would suggest you have it tested by someone QUALIFIED nobody on here can advise you properly.

Sponsored Links
Please tell me you don't have a shower circuit with no overcurrent protection :eek:

Hello Adam,
Am I correct in thinking that if that is a shower circuit, it should/could be protected by a RCBO ? (and that the enclosure should have a 'blank' fitted :LOL: )

EddieCurrent said:
Hello Adam,
Am I correct in thinking that if that is a shower circuit, it should/could be protected by a RCBO ? (and that the enclosure should have a 'blank' fitted :LOL: )

Or a fuse or MCB as well as the RCD :) (can't see either of those though), I could be wrong and the thing there could be an RCBO but I fear that it is just an RCD :(

And yes, it should have a blank

baldelectrician said:
dLooks like there may be bonding (coming out of earth block going downwards), so it may not be as bad as it seems.
i think the wire that i can see there then goes up to the shower? rcd? box, i dont see evidance of main bonding (MEB's).

Kilasser the good news for you is you can upgrade the MEBs yourself.

Hi kilasser, can you take a close up photo of your shower? RCD (the thing in the white consumer unit)?

If not please can you post everyting which is written on it. (all the letters and symbols)

It looks like the shower is a fairly new installation, and has been said, the MEBs may have been upgraded at the same time

Can not read the writing on the shower RCD from a photo so here is what it says:

R.C.D.
IN=40A 2p
I^n=0.03A
240V~
IM=500A
BSEN61008

SLECTOR
SRA 40/2D

(The ^ on the 3rd line is a triangle)

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

EddieCurrent there are earthing 'clamps' In the bathroom, at the gas meter, Under the kitchen sink where the water comes in to the house.

What is the OD of the cable to those points?

Are there actually any outgoing cables leaving that RCD?

Sorry I don't know what OD means :oops:

Running from that RCD to the top right hand corner there is some conduit. The cables run in side this from the RCD to the shower up stairs.

Kilasser said:
Running from that RCD to the top right hand corner there is some conduit. The cables run in side this from the RCD to the shower up stairs.

In that case, it looks like you need an MCB in circuit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back