my gloworm boiler wont work on demand.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my gloworm boiler wont work unless i switch the electric power switch off and back on again, when it is on its working fine but when it reaches tempreture as set by the thermostat it switches off as it should but then it will not re ignite so i have to switch the electric supply to the time switch off then on again and then it kicks in neadless to say that every morning ther is no heating till i get out of bed and operate the power switch again, can anyone diagnose this problem? its very frustrating, many thanks Tony.

Sponsored Links
Not enough information at the moment so can I ask which boiler is it and what sort of room thermostat is fitted?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like its electrical related. The timeclock supplies the power to the stat when heating in selected to be 'on'. Stat in turn supplies the power to the boiler in order for it to 'fire' when heat is called for. Somewhere down the chain the signal is being lost, if you are competant with a multimeter checks can be done. Type of system would be handy, motorised valves etc.

Probably the thermostat. Does the boiler oheat at all? try turning up and down the thermostat a few times and see what happens? it should just click as it goes past the current temp, if it "clickety-clicks" then its goosed.

Hi All, this problem still exists, i have fitted a new thermostat but that has not resolved the problem!! any guesses at what this may be, many thanks Tony.

Which new thermostat have you fitted?

What type/part number was it?

Tony

I guess this one is to hard to crack then!.
Yup neigh on impossible! We know it's a Glowworm and that it's a 50FF which narrows it down to around 40 or 50 boilers and that the thermostat is a Drayton but which type is also a mystery as is any details regarding the actual system!!

Have you actually carried out any tests such as is there a demand for heat at the boiler. Do you have any motorised valves because if it is a 'S' plan it is these that turn on the boiler - the wall stat simply operates the valves.

If the boiler is a combi does the DHW work?

Simply saying the boiler doesn't come back on gives no leads as to a possible problem.

Hi, I know it appears an imposible task its driving me nuts, all i can tell you is its a gloworm ultimate 50 ff and the timer is a lifestyle lp241 and the therm is a drayton there are no other markings on it,just before winter last year i had problems with the overheating button popping out so engineer said it was the pump which he changed, then a few weeks later he changed the pcb, then a few weeks later he changed the 3 way valve and all was working fine when i switched of for the summer, however in october i had a lofft conversion and they fitted a new megaflow system which coinsided at the same time to re ignite the boiler for the winter again, anyway since then i have had to keep switching the main feed to the time clock to get it started there is a little click then what sounds like a small rush of air then it fires up, once it is up and running it is fine if i leave it on but when it reaches tempreture and the therm switches it off it will not fire again ontil i switch electric supply switch to the timer off and on again, i have had the plummer who fitted the m/flow back several time but he just scratches his head and says its nothing that they have done!, its driving me nuts, Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back