My God

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek:

I've just stumbled accross this forum and being a sparks (16th edition) who thought Part P was a waste of time and just a money making scheme I have to admid Im wrong!

I can't believe people who clearly don't have any electrical experience are undertaking jobs in their own house, the biggest cause of uk house fires are down to electrics. People in this forum are advising as best they can but surley if people are not sure then they should get someone in who knows what he's doing??

If i keep looking round the site will I find people advising how to change boilers, fit a new gas fire or gas hob?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
we try to advise people not to do stuff when there out of thier depth but if they seem determined what can you do? let them kill themselves though thier ignorance?

as for part P its practically unenforceable against diyers (iirc they have to catch you within 6 months to prosecute for a procedural violation due to the type of offense it is and the law is so vauge that prosecuting for a technical violation isn't going to be easy) and the true cowboys will generally move on before the law catches up with them.

so i just can't see what part P achives other than pushing money towards the electro-mafia

Is that a fact hey have to prosecute within 6 months, I generally do commercial work so the fees for part p have put me off doing private jobs, Im not part P registered (to expensive) I read a post about a guy was thinking about changing the consumer unit, I know its not a hard job but a novice may put a 1.5mm2 in a 20amp mcb or greater.

If someone wants to do their own electrics then no one can stop them but little knowledge is dangerous??

fattony said:
but a novice may put a 1.5mm2 in a 20amp mcb or greater.

and equally they may replace the old rewirable fuses in thier old boxes with the wrong wire or worse hairclips or similar.

Sponsored Links
Them 6 inch nails are great fuses, they never seem to blow. :LOL:

Those who are ignorenant enough to put 1.5mm on a 20A breaker for greater* are generally ignoreant to the existance of part p anyway...

*ingnoreing the few situations where overload protection is provided down stream/ or is not needed, and the breaker just provides short and earth fault protection...

fattony said:
:If i keep looking round the site will I find people advising how to change boilers, fit a new gas fire or gas hob?
Indeed you will.

Fattony

Would the guy wanting to change his consumer unit, you are referring to be me :rolleyes:

It isn't as if i am doing this without a bit of knowledge and without the local BCO knowing... they are aware of what im doing.

The reason i am having to do this is because i have built an extension. YES Little ME all on my jack jones. Laid the bricks, built the walls, cut all the timbers for the roof, laid all the tiles, Wired the electrics, and YES i have even fitted my own new combi boiler in the new utility room... Piped it all up, Got the corgi guy out to do the gas connection and hey presto, another job done.

I'm sure the guys on here don't advise people to do dangerous things. I have read posts were the person asking the question is obviously going to blow himself up and the sparks have told him to seek professional help..,Surely thats a good thing ?

Anyway, have you got any old MK sentry type 2 RCBO's for an old consumer unit :D Beer vouchers waiting in exchange for a good home for them...

And welcome to the forum....

Mick

mk do a retrofit kit btw which will allow you to fit modern mk breakers.http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5567.html

you cut down the existing busbar, use the new short busbar for the new breakers and use the supplied link wire and adaptors to join them.

fattony said:
:'ve just stumbled accross this forum and being a sparks (16th edition) who thought Part P was a waste of time and just a money making scheme I have to admid Im wrong!
No - you are quite right - it is both of those things.

the biggest cause of uk house fires are down to electrics.
That is not true.

If i keep looking round the site will I find people advising how to change boilers, fit a new gas fire or gas hob?
Would you rather they did it without the benefit of expert advice?

ban-all-sheds said:
fattony said:
:'ve just stumbled accross this forum and being a sparks (16th edition) who thought Part P was a waste of time and just a money making scheme I have to admid Im wrong!

That is not true.

Actually, my Uncle heard that what fattony says is true,
and I heard it somewhere else as well.[/b]

plugwash said:
as for part P its practically unenforceable against diyers (iirc they have to catch you within 6 months to prosecute for a procedural violation due to the type of offense it is and the law is so vauge that prosecuting for a technical violation isn't going to be easy) and the true cowboys will generally move on before the law catches up with them.

Does anyone know if that means that building regulation no longer applies to work done by a DIY'er in as much as work does not have be declared or backed by certification if the DIY'er sells the house?

Clitheroe said:
ban-all-sheds said:
fattony said:

That is not true.

Actually, my Uncle heard that what fattony says is true,
and I heard it somewhere else as well.[/b]

Not according to this link it isn't although I take the point poor electrics could very much be a fire hazard
http://www.hbosplc.com/media/pressr...004-06-01-01.asp?fs=/media/press_releases.asp

This is the report thst says:

"Now Halifax General Insurance, one of the UK's largest household insurers, has released figures which show that by far the biggest cause of fires in the home is simple accidents such as unattended candles or children playing with matches - and is urging people to take greater care in order to protect themselves and their property from fire hazards."

Cause of Fire Claim

Year........2002........ 2003
Accident.....68%........64%
Electrical....16%........17%
Smoking......6%..........8%
Arson..........9%.........10%
Fire Third Party..0%.....0%
Other...........1%..........1%

(thought I'd try to save people having to look it up, but I can't make it format neatly)

also note that most studies have a single "electrical" section which doesn't really tell you very much as there are at least 3 causes of electrical fire.

1: faulty/damaged appliances
2: faulty/damaged extention cords etc
3: faulty/damaged fixed wiring

without seperating the 3 the information is useless as a basis for making an informed judgement on if diy electrics should be allowed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back