My God

Cor, never thought it would cause such a storm, Mick nope Im afraid I wasn't refering to you, think the name was steve but not 100% sure.
Well done with the extension, what can I say little you doing well, cant help with mcbs sorry :(

I cant argue with facts, if thats what the halifax say, I always beleved it to be down to electrics.

You were joking about the gas though :eek: Im gonna have a look now

Sponsored Links
coloumb said:
Does anyone know if that means that building regulation no longer applies to work done by a DIY'er in as much as work does not have be declared or backed by certification if the DIY'er sells the house?
Oh the buyers will ask you the question, and you can 'fess up or lie. And they can decide whether or not to go ahead with the purchase of a house that has had notifiable work done for which there is no LABC completion certificate available.

A PIR would probably go a long way to making them feel better.

But the point is that if 6 months has elapsed, you cannot be taken to court for contravention of the Building Regulations. Even if you say "Yes, I rewired the whole thing, new CU, circuits to the garage, shed and garden, and installed a standby generator".

fattony said:
I cant argue with facts, if thats what the halifax say, I always beleved it to be down to electrics.
Not just them - the official figures on the ODPM website say the same. And IIRC, within electrical causes, the biggest sub-category, by a long way, is misuse of appliances.

You were joking about the gas though :eek:
No - why? DIY gas work is not illegal.

I did all mine before the end of 2004 so I think I have nothing to worry about. I think it's all neatly done and compliant but assume I would have to get a PIR done to satisfy future buyers.

I wonder if householders ought to do their own Small Works docs if they make the permitted changes (additional sockets, etc.)? Or would that kind of work be considered insignificant? I presume few would know how.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I did all mine before the end of 2004 so I think I have nothing to worry about.

Cause if you aint burnt down or gassed yourself by now, you musta done sumfink right.... :LOL:

I thought you had to be corgi to do any gas work? i must admit i fitted a gas hob in my old house (had to move bad smell of gas ) its still standing :LOL:

fattony said:
I thought you had to be corgi to do any gas work? i must admit i fitted a gas hob in my old house (had to move bad smell of gas ) its still standing :LOL:

Only if you are doing it for hire and reward, otherwise you just have to be competant, like with electrics there is no definition of this anyway, ultimatley if it goes wrong then it'll be down to someone who wears a horse hair wig to work.

Don't think I'd go as far as installing a hob myself, I would be happy unplugging a cooker from one house and plugging it in in another, fixing a drilled pipe, capping off a pipe to a gas appliance that has been removed, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back