My header tank is full of jelly-like sludge!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody ever found this to be true? I protected my system with Fernox (which is a liquid) and a few months later my header tank had a weird jelly type substance floating on the surface of the water?

It would be cool if I could have re-assurance on this.

I don't have any ice cream to go with this jelly :p

My system seems to work fine though.

Sponsored Links
It's bacteria, though probably not the friendly type. You need a poison to kill the blighters.

Sponsored Links
When we moved into the house the header tank was full of orangey rusty crap that came from a rusty grundfos pump.

I changed this and treated the system with cleanser (sludge remover) and then I drained the whole system and put in Fernox MB-1 Protector.

As far as I know that's all.

We do get a bit of whining from the radiators which goes away when we turn the thermostatic knob on the radiator. Can air in the system create bacteria???

If so do I need to find how air is getting in the system?

We do get a bit of whining from the radiators............

That'll be the bacteria having trouble getting into the party. When you open the door a bit wider, they don't need to fight so much.

Fernox do a mooti for killing bugs. Never needed it yet, but apparently it works!

Thanks Oilman/Chris R.

I shall drain the system again after I have called Fernox.

They should know a little about this problem.

:eek: I am shocked that I have an alien blob growing in my pipes!

I should call Steve McQueen if he was still alive!

;)

I am shocked that I have an alien blob growing in my pipes!

Have you seen the film "Evolution"? You had better move fast, just in case :evil:

when you added the fernox was the system already full. and you just tipped it into the header tank. Because if the fernox is not drawn into the system and just sits in the header tank it quite often turns to jelly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back