My kitchen worktop is possessed! Kitchen chipboard laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever on DIYnot, and what a stinker of a problem it is!

I removed the laminated chipboard kitchen counter top that the sink sits in.

I almost laid an egg!

http://img803.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=88024677.jpg

Given these:

A - It is likely impossible, to find the same pattern/colour of counter top, so I would be unable to simply replace the piece.

What options do I have?

What do I need to be worried about and sort out right now - (e.g you can see some stuff on the plaster - is this going to become a problem. The plaster is absolutely dry).

I really need your advice, anything you care to add, would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Mods- Please move to the right forum if this is in the wrong place, with my apologies. I promise to upload the pics directly to this forum - just getting the hang of things, it will just take a few days. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So whats the problem?, you have a rotten worktop in need of replacement, matching is not an option.

What I was hoping for was other options.

Are there any ways of treating the wood and saving the worktop.

Are there any ways I can get a print of the same laminate for another custom made piece.

Are there any chemical treatments that can be used to save this piece?

Thanks.

It's water damages and rotting, replacement is only sensible option.It was poorly designed leaving a joint too close to the sink.You have more chance or re-using a match than that worktop. :(

Sponsored Links
Art of the impossible.

I anyone can help me try and pull this off. I have got very far with the following:

Brown Marble effect laminate worktop 38 mm depth. Pics available in first post!

The code printed onto the bottom of the worktop is WOR4460. (A Howdens code)

I called Howdens and they gave me the the following:

It is a formica laminate (K4820C105CRGP0) - (the '1' could be an 'I' instead) they only needed the first five of these characters - K4820.

Formica said that they supplied the laminate to Hygena, who then put it on the 38mm chipboard.

If anyone out there can help me further - I need a 3m piece - I have constantly been met with a can't do attitude - but then end up with information that gets me further.

So I thought - best post this info. in case forum members can contribute.

One 3m meter piece needed!

Thanks.

Okay - so here's an update fro anyone who might need some info in the future.

The laminate itself is made by a company called Formica.

The laminate design is printed with big rollers, which are formed and have to be fitted onto a machine - and the whole press would have to be reset, provided the rollers still existed. This, they will not do for a single piece.

Digital printing is available, but since it is so old, the worktop would have to be scanned by a traditional scanner. This means the output would differ without extensive image manipulation and repeat prototyping. The cost is also high.

I have tried regional distributors and emailed many worktop outlets through my region - the worktop is old (7years) so no luck there.

Many thanks to the contributors to this thread.

This worktop is consigned to history!

Thanks everyone - SirLancelot.

I Can't help with replacement, but a tip for the repair. Paint any cut edges of chipboard worktops with 2 coats of undercoat paint worked well in. This
helps to prevent water ingress.

Quite honestly, replacing the whole worktop is your only option. Once water damaged to the extent yours is, it's destined for the bonfire.
I've just been to look at a base unit (water damaged) and that too is beyond repair. Customer wants a cheap replacement, but the cheapest 1000mm base unit I could find online was from Wickes and priced at almost £60. Customer has refused this as an option so I've had to tell them I won't be doing anything with their base unit. (mind you I didn't really want the job as the main water pipe comes up out of the floor right in the middle of the base unit, then carries on through one of the sides to elsewhere in the property ( a true nightmare to replace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back