My nightmare with wall plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughters house was probably built pre-war. The plaster on the walls is like chalk and the bricks underneath are like steel. Drilling a hole for a fixing is a nightmare. You get a neat hole in the plaster, the drill hits the brick and wanders all over the wall.
And if you do get a decent hole, put in a plug, the plaster crumbles when you tighten the screw, leaving only a couple of cms of brick to hold onto (which it doesn't).
How do I drill a good hole and do I need to use a plug that's about a foot long? :confused:

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
first of all a decent hammer drill and high speed masonry drill bit.

if the brick is hard use a smaller bit to pilot the hole moving onto the correct size of bit for the plug.

drill the plug right into the brickwork and use a longer screw to accomodate the fixing.

The entire plug needs to be submerged into the brick. The depth of the plug within the brick will depend upon which length of screw you use.

Generally the screw needs to occupy at least three quarters of the plug length and do not try and go beyond the full length of the plug.

If you think that the plug needs to be visible or flush with the plaster then you are thinking wrong.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back